More tub spigot questions...

Users who are viewing this thread

alannaimee

Reaction score
So I had to open up the wall behind my tub fixtures because of a spigot that wasn't secure.

Not only is the spigot not secured to anything, neither is the valve, so I'll fix that too.

A few questions: from the valve to the spigot is copper that 90's forward thru the cutout into the surround. How would you guys secure this? I haven't found anything that looks to be for this purpose, so is it blocking and clamping?

Same question for the valve, is it just blocked and clamped to the 2x4?

Current plan is to refinish the wall and not leave the plumbing accessible, so I only want to do it once.

Thanks for your time,
Alan

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes make sure you use copper strapping or clamps though as other metals will cause corrosion. Newer valves have mounting holes for screws but yours may not.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have blocking there, another choice to anchor the tub spout is to use a drop-ear el. This is usually cast out of brass or bronze, and has two ears with screwholes designed to give that connection a good anchor point. They are available in both solder and screw so you could use a brass nipple for the spout rather than a copper stub, if that works out better for you. At the suggestion of the plumber's here, when I redid my mother's, I used a Delta pull-down diverter spout. Really solid and easily adjusts to get the spout tight to the wall without fiddling with it.

alannaimee

Reaction score
Guys,

Thanks for the advice, ended up blocking the spigot and using a copper strap to secure it. Also blocked the mixing valve and used the mounting holes in it.

Thanks again,
Alan

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks