Replacing shower floor grout

Users who are viewing this thread

Oldwriter

Reaction score
I have just spent three of the worst days of my life sawing out the top 1/8" or so of sanded grout between the 2" tiles on my shower floor. Ugh! Replaced the grout, let it set up for two days, with intermittent sprays of water.
Now, the same thing is happening as happened originally - there are spotty patches of yellow or even orange/brown stain coming up through the grout after using the shower!
When I removed the old grout layer, all appeared to be dry, but the original installers must have put some bad stuff down under the tile! About a quarter of the tile, by the way, makes a "hollow sound" when you tap it. Sigh.
Could there somehow be the wrong tile-setting material underneath? I hope somebody can help me out - because if this keeps up there's only two options: rip out the floor, or tile over it, which I'm about ready to do.

Many thanks!

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
tile

I'm no tile pro, but you should let the floor dry real good before grouting. Then before you get it wet you need to put a seal on the grout.
I'm sure more complete answers be forthcoming........

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks