(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Replacing shower floor grout

Hybrid View

DIY Junior Member

Question Replacing shower floor grout

I have just spent three of the worst days of my life sawing out the top 1/8" or so of sanded grout between the 2" tiles on my shower floor. Ugh! Replaced the grout, let it set up for two days, with intermittent sprays of water.
    Now, the same thing is happening as happened originally - there are spotty patches of yellow or even orange/brown stain coming up through the grout after using the shower!
    When I removed the old grout layer, all appeared to be dry, but the original installers must have put some bad stuff down under the tile! About a quarter of the tile, by the way, makes a "hollow sound" when you tap it. Sigh.
    Could there somehow be the wrong tile-setting material underneath? I hope somebody can help me out - because if this keeps up there's only two options: rip out the floor, or tile over it, which I'm about ready to do.

Many thanks!

Default tile

I'm no tile pro, but you should let the floor dry real good before grouting. Then before you get it wet you need to put a seal on the grout.
    I'm sure more complete answers be forthcoming........

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

PLy this question over at www.johnbridge.com plus, pictures might be helpful.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014