Whole house water filter recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rldev

Reaction score
I have to say researching whole house water filters can be difficult. Lots of hyperbole and no documentation. I currently have a water softener with a WS-1 valve. My ward is hard and stinks of chlorine. I figured it was time to start filtering my water and stop buying bottled water. I have looked into so many units on the net and I'm confused to say the least.

I do not want an RO system. I'm leaning towards KDF Catalytic Carbon types.

I have read I can retrofit my softener with a CanPro MediaGuard, but have read about mixed results.

Do I want a system that backwahes? If so, why do so many leading whole house filters omit backwashing(Aquasanna, Crystal Quest, Pelican, etc)?

My ears are open? I appreciate any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Although it is not a good idea to remove chlorine on a whole house (POE) basis because the chlorine is needed to control bacteria, if you want whole house filtering, go with a backwashed regular (coconut) carbon filter sized for your peak demand flow rate gpm.

If you want drinking water only filtration, use a disposable carbon block cartridge in a housing under the sink with a no air gap RO faucet.

The mass marketed filters you mention are for the uninformed consumer.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
While the CanPro works it drops the flow rate like a stone, used them in the past and customers where not real happy.

If the softener is doing a good job with the hardness but the smell and chlorine are the challenge then carbon..

Depending on the size of your place in the flow rate needed as to cubic feet of carbon needed to treat the water.. off hand I would say at least 2 cubic foot if not 3 cubic with a back washing valve or control on top of the tank.

Rldev

Reaction score
I have to say researching whole house water filters can be difficult. Lots of hyperbole and no documentation. I currently have a water softener with a WS-1 valve. My ward is hard and stinks of chlorine. I figured it was time to start filtering my water and stop buying bottled water. I have looked into so many units on the net and I'm confused to say the least.

I do not want an RO system. I'm leaning towards KDF Catalytic Carbon types.

I have read I can retrofit my softener with a CanPro MediaGuard, but have read about mixed results.

Do I want a system that backwahes? If so, why do so many leading whole house filters omit backwashing(Aquasanna, Crystal Quest, Pelican, etc)?

My ears are open? I appreciate any advice.

So you are essentially saying you do not recommend whole house filters to city water users?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are 2 schools of thought when it comes to removing the chlorine from the water, those that say no way and then those that say that it is ok..
The City is doing it to make sure that the water in their system is safe, but then in your house it is your call.
I would pull the chlorine out of the water.
Research chlorine and by-protucts in the water.

Rldev

Reaction score
While the CanPro works it drops the flow rate like a stone, used them in the past and customers where not real happy.

If the softener is doing a good job with the hardness but the smell and chlorine are the challenge then carbon..

Depending on the size of your place in the flow rate needed as to cubic feet of carbon needed to treat the water.. off hand I would say at least 2 cubic foot if not 3 cubic with a back washing valve or control on top of the tank.

My house is 2700 sqft. 3 full bathrooms. Only 4 of us here. What would you suggest? My municipality started using Chloramines, doesn't that require KDF media?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Carbon will work for the removal of chloamines, with the size of your house I would use 2.5 cubic.

KDF would work, but there is KDF-55 for Chlorine and KDF-85 for H2S...so you would need a mix of the two, where with carbon will handle both with no mixing of the carbon.

KDF is also going to need a larger gallon per minute flow rate for the back washing than the carbon.

Rldev

Reaction score
No they don't.

Any large tubs or body spray type showers?

Two standard sized tubs. Regular showers. We would never be using more than 2 bathrooms at once. I do plan on adding a few shower jets to master bath.

So I guess coconut carbon will remove most things with the exception of heavy metals correct?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have you looked up what the coconut and activated carbons can and can not remove?

Rldev

Reaction score
Yes seems good. Not sure where to buy from. I am going to do a thorough water test this week.

PeterMiles

Reaction score
Website
www.calnuncamas.com
HydroFLOW protects a whole house from limescale using radio waves in an electric field. they have sizes for all diameters of pipe.
It also combats bacteria. check out HydroFLOW on google and you will find lots of good stories.
The hydroflow also reduces the taste of chlorine in the water.
I wouldn't use a salt based softener, as they need maintenance and you can't always drink the water.

Matt Peiris

Reaction score
There is no other real alternative to reverse osmosis if you want bottled water quality out of the home faucet. There are newer ro systems with 1:1 efficiency like the VGRO-75. No other type of filter will reduce total dissolved solids (easily check with a pocket tds meter) below 50 ppm.

ppm.png

Whole house filters MUST be backwashed or media can degrade quickly/form water channels. CCMG backwash filters have both catalytic carbon and a KDG-85 media guard. Select the tank size you need after finding out the maximum service flow you need and the available backwash rate from your well pump or city water line. These filters will reduce chlorine AND chloramine, hydrogen sulfide, iron and organic chemicals from water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks