Better solution for tank bolt leaks for Toto toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

qtrmiler347

Reaction score
Could not find it in a search here.

Was at the plumbing supplier buying a new tank-to-bowl seal for my Toto Drake, and a guy recommended I sandwich the small tank holes with a rubber gasket on each side of the hole (along with nut and stainless washer to crush the rubber seals), and then use that same bolt and another set of nuts and stainless washers to bolt the tank onto the toilet. This sounds like a great idea and would reduce the chance of tank leaks or cracking in the small hole on each side of the tank since now it only needs to be tight enough to make the main tank-to-bowl gasket seal up.

Thoughts? Sounds good?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That would work, though we and all of our customers get by just fine with the bolt kit that comes with the toilets.
The bolt kit from TOTO includes two brass bolts, two rubber washers, four stainless washers and four brass nuts.
We put the rubber washer on the bolt, and then drop the bolt through the tank. Take a washer and nut, and tighten.
Then we place the tank on the bowl, and use a second washer and nut to secure the tank to the bowl.

Have you checked to see if the large 3" nut is tight, that is the most likely location of a leak.

Installing a Toto Drake

ecodrake_tankbottom.jpg

toto-tank-parts.jpg

Last edited:

qtrmiler347

Reaction score
That would work, though we and all of our customers get by just fine with the bolt kit that comes with the toilets.
The bolt kit from TOTO includes two brass bolts, two rubber washers, four stainless washers and four brass nuts.
We put the rubber washer on the bolt, and then drop the bolt through the tank. Take a washer and nut, and tighten.
Then we place the tank on the bowl, and use a second washer and nut to secure the tank to the bowl.

Have you checked to see if the large 3" nut is tight, that is the most likely location of a leak.

Installing a Toto Drake

ecodrake_tankbottom.jpg

Will look at that as well. Thanks for the suggestions.

qtrmiler347

Reaction score
Follow up:

Sandwiched the tank with rubber washers (as in picture above but used rubber washers on both sides of the tank just to be extra sure). Put vaseline on the tank-to-bowl gasket so that it would slide as opposed to tear (the guys who installed the toilet originally managed to tear the bowl to tank gasket). Anyhow problem solved. I also sanded the inside of the tank in the boltholes area as well to be sure it's flat.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Petroleum products and many rubbers do not mix...a better thing than Vaseline is just some liquid dishsoap. On some rubbers, it just ends up slowly disolving the rubber.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You don't need a better or different solution. All you have to do is follow the instructions and you won't have a leak.

qtrmiler347

Reaction score
Petroleum products and many rubbers do not mix...a better thing than Vaseline is just some liquid dishsoap. On some rubbers, it just ends up slowly disolving the rubber.
I guess I will find out if it dissolves the rubber gasket. What's done is done. I have another one just in case.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks