Second floor bath tub issues

Users who are viewing this thread

lizch

Reaction score
I am in the midst of remodelling a second story bathroom and adding a 90 gallon bath tub with a granite deck. My contractor did not mention anything anything about reinformcing the floor. How can I be sure that the floor can hold the additional weight?

Thanks,
Liz

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

You can't until you know the size of the joists under the floor, their spacing, and the span between supporting walls. Once you know all that then you can compute the load per square foot it will support and thus how much tub it can carry.

lizch

Reaction score
Bath tub floor joists

The joists are 2 x 8 with spacing of 16" and the tub will sit across the joists not parallel. The room is about 15 feet wide so I am assuming that is the length of the span. The tub is situated in a corner next to an exterior wall on the long axis and a wall next to the bedroom on the short axis. Directly under the tub on the exterier wall of the first floor is an 8 ft. sliding glass door.

I have not had the final inspection yet, but we added the granite deck after submitting the permit. Will that make a difference. I would like to have peace of mind when the remodel is finished.

Thanks for your help.

Liz

lizch

Reaction score
new measurements

The contractor tells me that the joists are 2x 10 with 16" spacing. Any help would be much appreciated.

Liz

wood4d

Master Plumber
Reaction score
floor support

your contractor is probably right not to be concerned, but "only" an engineer or architect can certify that he is. there is more to structural calculations than just floor joist size.

Sulconst2

Reaction score
basic rule of thumb
2 x 10 at 16"o.c. normal span is 13' 6"
2 x 12 " " " " " " " " " " " " " 15'6"
this is for normal live load with no bearing wall on the span.
sounds like you need to double them up or install a header mid span below. maybe you will get lucky and an engineer will chime in, but they usually charge $350 to spec a beam.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks