(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Water line to fridge questionl.

Default Water line to fridge questionl.

I had my plumber put in a water line to run to my fridge. No plumbers in my town use copper any more and that is good in my opinion as copper is not as good as pex. Anyway the man coming to install my fridge says that I need to run copper tubing from the shut off valve to my fridge and my plumber says it is not so. What do people agree with on this matter?

I agree with your plumber, you can use pex, copper or there are braided hoses made for this as well. Most fridges have a 1/4" hook up, so if running 3/8" pex you need an adapter.

The place where I bought it won't do that because he says it won't work. That is bull but he won't do it so now I have to hire a plumber to do it.

Default im

You do NOT need copper, but should have something other than PEX for the final connection. Pex is not "flexible" enough to make a connection that will allow you to move the refrigerator in and out. A stainless steel icemaker connector between the PEX,, (with the proper reducer), and the refrigerator would be the proper way. AND your appliance connector person SHOULD know how to do that.

I talked to the plumber and the pex coming up into the floor will be reduced with a much smaller tubing which I take will not be pex but he still says plastic.

icemaker lines are "usually" braided steel flex lines, reinforced pvc, or just 'el chepo plain pvc. using anything other than a braided steel flex line is not very smart.
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

www.blackbirdkitchenandbath.com

Why is that?

I connect with pex then a braided line, but have in the past used 3/8" pex for the whole connection, I just left about 4-5 feet coiled behind the fridge to allow room for pulling in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    Why is that?
    It can get sliced easily. It can leak, easily.

Example:
    Next to a fridge people often slide a cutting board, a pan from the oven, and or any other flat thing. If one of these flat things is a cookie sheet (completely flat) then it's edge can slice the plastic tubing easily, after it has rubbed against it for a few weeks. A minor slice. Almost insignificant. You might not see it or feel any moisture. But, when you use the fridge water a lot (mid summer, heat wave), the hose will leak a lot. Drip drip. After a few years your kitchen has rotted on one side. Floor too. All because of an invisible leak, hiding in plain view.

"... using anything other than a braided steel flex line is not very smart. ..." AMen.

What size is this braided steel flex line and how is it attached? Is there something I can see someplace? Thanks.

It is the same size as the "plastic line" he will use, and connects the same way.