Replacing Valve Stem Question

Users who are viewing this thread

bmola

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am completely inept with anything that has to do with plumbing (just wanted to get that out of the way). I have a drip coming out of my tub faucet, it has been going for a while I think because the tub is stained from the leak. I will take off the hot and cold handles and try and remove the stem with a stem wrench and inspect the parts. I'll replace any bad washers and re-install. Does this sound about right?

Now to my real question.

If none of this works or if there are other problems...Can I just completely remove the old stems and buy new stems? If I do this, would I need to buy new handles as well? If you buy the new handles, does it come with the appropriate stems or do I have to buy those separately? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks in advance!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes replacing rubber washers will fix the leak.
When we work on them, we at the minimum will also replace the seats, but normally replace stems too.
If you can pull the handles off without breaking anything, then you may be able to reuse them. If the handles are not usable afterwards, you may need to replace them too.

A more complete job is to replace with a single handle, pressure balanced system, which can be installed with a "remodel plate" to allow opening up the wall to complete the work.

bmola

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I took off the handle and this is what I saw. Do I just take the plastic piece to my local hardware store and try and find a replacement or do I have to pull the metal pipe section out? If so, can anyone recommend a method of pulling the metal pipe out without damaging it? Thanks!!

P1010318.jpgP1010317.jpg

Asktom

Reaction score
That looks more like a Valley than a Delta to me. You probably just need to change the seats and springs that are at the bottom the hole the stem came out of. The spring pushes a rubber cup shaped "seat" against the bottom of the stem. Valley seats and springs are similar to Delta, but not interchangable.

bmola

Reaction score
That looks more like a Valley than a Delta to me. You probably just need to change the seats and springs that are at the bottom the hole the stem came out of. The spring pushes a rubber cup shaped "seat" against the bottom of the stem. Valley seats and springs are similar to Delta, but not interchangable.

Thanks guys for all your help! It is indeed a Valley 2 part. I ended up just buying the spring, washer, and plastic insert in a Valley 2 repair kit (less than $2). The leak has stopped! It was a little bit of a pain in the butt getting those old parts out. I basically hacked away at the rubber pieces with a screwdriver and flushed out the debris with some water and then put in the new parts.

It is crazy that with a little help from you guys, some info on the internet and a $2 part, I saved myself a $90 house call. :cool:

ScottInAR

Reaction score
faucet (1).JPG faucet (2).JPG
I am simply someone willing to try to learn to fix at home plumbing problems prior to calling someone out if I'm able. I have a similar tub faucet handle issue but a little more than bmola's leak. We got the leak fixed but now the handle was accidentally broken off when my teen son fell and grabbed it to stop his fall. The handle and stem broke. We were temporarily able to use a screwdriver in the center to turn the hot water on and off. A few days after doing this though, as he was going to turn the water off, water started spraying out of the center of where the handle should go. I know we need a new faucet handle but believe we need a new stem also. My problem is knowing exactly how to replace it, assembly and all and which one to even get. I can't seem to get a plumber to call me back today and we had to turn off the main water valve Saturday night so it's been a pain. I don't see a name on anything to help. The handles in the picture were not the original handles. I think the hot water stem got broke because I don't even have it. This is an older rental house so the internal fixings are old too. 1st picture is the hot with everything taken off. 2nd picture is hot on left with broken part still inserted and cold on right and cold showing stem inserted in place. Can you please advise?

Last edited by a moderator:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I needed a Price-Pfister stem and a set of handles for a shower-only set-up last week. The nearest HD was near where I used to live in E. Cobb. There's an associate in there who knows his stuff pretty well. Normally, when someone tries to help me at a Depot, I run like a snake, but this guy is always helpful to me, and I'm glad to see he's there.
He showed me the stem and then the handles and said that's about 34 dollars. Then he showed me the remodel kit with the hot and cold stems plus the diverter, plus the handles nipples and flanges for 37 dollars.
So, take a look at the kits before you make a commitment. Might be a better deal down on the bottom shelf.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
HIS faucet does NOT have a "kit". He may be lucky to even find someone with the stem he needs. If I had fixed your faucet it would have cost more for the parts, but you would have had a "lifetime" faucet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks