Faucet Connection Size

Users who are viewing this thread

Sobershea

Reaction score
A review on the kitchen faucet I am interested in stated that "The water lines on this faucet are smaller than my existing faucet, so my water pressure has diminished considerably." The specifications on the faucet list a "Connection size" of 3/8" Compression. If I hadn't read the review I would have purchased the faucet, however, my water presser isn't that hot and I am concerned that the "connection size" could be an issue. Other faucets have a 1/2" connection size. So, can I blindly purchase a faucet based on looks, or do I need to take connection size into consideration?

TIA

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
It makes no difference. The outlet on your shutoff valve is 3/8, and the supply tubing you would be using is 3/8. A number of kitchen faucets are now coming with the option of having the 3/8 flex lines already installed directly into the faucet body.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Feds have put limitations on the flow rate of many valves used in a home. You can easily reach that max flow with a 3/8" line. There may be some older ones still on a shelf somewhere, but even then, a 3/8" supply line is/was fairly typical.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The restriction is at the aerator, not the supply lines.
We've been using 3/8" for over fifty years.

Shower heads, kitchen faucets and bathroom faucets all have restricters in place, but not at the supply line.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Even when the faucet had 1/2" IPS inlet connections, the internal tubing was much smaller. And for years, ALL the flex lines we have used were the same ( approx 3/8) tubing, just with 1/2 or 7/16 or 3/8 ends on it.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Using this
http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/copperloss.htm
and fitting an equation to the values given for type K copper at 2 GPM, for a 3/8" tube the pressure loss will be twice as much as for 1/2", 8 PSI rather than 4 PSI, but this is per hundred feet of pipe.
Fuhgedit.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks