Copper vs. Polyethylene/PEX pipes?

Users who are viewing this thread

SCOLDTIMER

Reaction score
We are doing a ceiling (no attic) re-route to replace 3/4" copper hot and cold lines due to a slab leak. The plumber has suggested we consider polyethylene pipes because they will be easier to install the 100' distance from the hot water heater and possibly more economical.
We would greatly appreciate any feedback on the trade-off's between copper and polyethylene.
Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
By ceiling, no attic, do you mean it is a "crawl space"? It will definitely be cheaper, but the temperature in the attic MAY exceed the operating temperature for the PEX. Either one in an area under the roof will mean the water will always be warm or hot during the summer. Even warmer than our "cold" water is normally. I seldom "reroute" due to a slab leak. I locate it and then repair it. The homeowner's insurance company usually pays everything, except for actually fixing the pipe, less the homeowner's deductible.

Last edited:

SCOLDTIMER

Reaction score
We do not want to jackhammer our marble flooring. Also, our home is only 6 years old and something has corroded the pipes from the outside. (soil?). Do not want to have to go through this again...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
NOt sure where you are but most areas, in the last 6 years, have NOT allowed direct burial of the copper lines without a 'sleeve' of some kind, so the soil could not affect the material. Most failures which occur that soon are installation problems, which may, or may not, be in a location which would require damaging the floor in a visible area.

SCOLDTIMER

Reaction score
We are in Mesa, az. We had a black insulation sleeve around the hot line but when we peeled it off the pipe the sleeve was stained red inside. The hot watewr pipe had more divots than my golf swing! Could it have been the sleeve that was eating the pipe from the outside? The cold water pipe right next to it (but without the sleeve) is not nearly as pitted.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I thought I read that hot water circulating systems sometimes cause premature wear on the hot water copper pipes. Do you have one in your home?

SCOLDTIMER

Reaction score
yes-- good catch--we do have a re-circ system that was added 6 months AFTER we moved in because it was taking so long for the water to get hot. It is located on the hot water heater and that is the pipe that is bad. So, to recap, it appears something is corroding the pipe from the OUTSIDE. Soil? Bad pipe? Bad installation (rocks etc.) The black foam sleeve? And, maybe the recirc is adding to the problem? The cold water line right next to it in the ground is not nearly as corroded.

SCOLDTIMER

Reaction score
they just added a device with a timer right on to the water heater---no pipes were added. Not sure how it works but it does provide much faster hot water....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks