softner or filter needed?

Users who are viewing this thread

ugabulldog

Reaction score
My drilled well water tested .41 ppm for iron and 40 ppm (2.3 gr/gal) for hardness. My only concern is staining fixtures and clothes. Do you think i need one, and any advice on softener and/or filter? Does a sand filter work on iron?

Last edited:

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
A sand filter may work, I am not sure about the area that you are in, I know where I am at for the most part as there are still things that come up that are a puzzle even after 20 years..

A softener most likely will work, but your water temp is different that what I deal with, here the average temp is 35F... yours is another question.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A properly sized softener should do the trick. Have your local water fitration company come out and size it for you or you can find a ton of sites online that will give you that information. Water conditions alone are not enough for us to do that here without somee further information.

biermech

Previous member
Reaction score
A BIRM (Best Iron Removal Media) filter will remove the iron. There is no salt needed or any other regeneranet for the system. That means very limited maintenance required.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
A sand filter will not remove ferrous/dissolved iron, only ferric/oxidized iron/rust particles. Sand would only work IF you oxidized the ferrous iron first (into ferric iron particulate matter [sediment]) and then sand would filter them out.

To use BIRM, you must meet some requirements like no H2S gas etc..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks