Replacing a Cast Iron tub drain.

Users who are viewing this thread

motonutz123

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a cast iron tub that I am trying to install the new drain in the attached drawing. The old openings in the tub are 2" diameter. The new drain I bought is 1 1/2" diameter. Are there any adapters to do this? I also need to know if the washer at the drain in the drawing is installed at the top of the tub opening or from the bottom. I've included photos of the tub.

I see a washer in the drawing for a cast iron tub. I need to know if it goes on top or the bottom of the tub when it's installed. Would anyone know of any videos or web pages that would show of this type of installation?

Thanks

https://terrylove.com/w_o.htm Similar to the drain I have.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You put plumber's putty (or silicon if you never want to get it off intact) under the drain on the top of the tub, then the rubber gasket goes on the bottom, normally followed by a washer and then the nut. On that drain, it appears that the bottom is threaded, and the drain part from above screws into it instead of that being a nut.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; then the rubber gasket goes on the bottom, normally followed by a washer and then the nut

I have NEVER seen a tub drain with a "washer and nut" on the bottom under the tub, EXCEPT for mobile home tubs which do not have an overflow opening. But, then, they use a "kitchen sink drain" in the outlet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks