Kitchen sink leak... insinkerator?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I'm having problem figuring out where the water in the cabinet below the kitchen sink is coming from. I've run water.. doesn't look like it's any of the pipes, nor does it look to be coming from under the sink (new sink I installed last summer and caulked with silicone caulk) or from the strainer.

Best I can see is that it's dripping from a seal in the inksinkerator. The seal is about located at about the half point of the main body and goes around the diameter.

Is this possible?

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I spread newspapers and look for a water spot occasionally so I know at least what is directly vertically above the spot and approx. when it happens.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes it is possible. Very rare on a newer unit, but if it is old, yes. There is a factory warranty...1 year on Badger1, 2 years on Badger 5, 3 to 5 years on upper end models. If the disposer is beyond its warranty period, it is not woth attempting to repair such a leak.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, it is possible. How old is the garbage disposer? Especially those that have a cast body rather than a SS chamber, they can disintegrate and leak. My old one one day just literally fell off the bottom of the sink. The bracket and drain were there, but the rest was hanging from the trap and drain line. If you have a dishwasher hooked to it, and your wash water isn't hot enough, some of the soaps will speed that disintigration along since they need quite hot water to disolve properly. Some of those are quite active, chemically. That can speed it along, but it can still happen without it.

Reaction score
It's got to be at least 10 years and probably more like 15. Since I can't see it leak from anywhere else I am pretty sure that's it and just change it out.

thanks for the replies.

p.s. that's a scary pic thatguy

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I guess it should be called "Child Neglect."

Or making sure the snake is well fed. Another source of intermittent leaks is the hose from the dishwasher.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks