Adding a Laundry Sink to Existing Washer Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

bradleonard

Reaction score
I posted this question at the end of a very old thread (https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?17967-utility-sink-drain&p=277172&highlight=#post277172) and didn't receive a response, I have an existing standpipe for my washing machine going into a 2" drain vented above with 2". The washing machine drain comes from the left in my picture.

washer drain.jpg Wash drain 2.jpg

I would like to add a laundry sink to this drain. My question is Washington Code specific as I live in Washington. Can I simply add a cross T where the washing machine enters this stack and drain both the sink and washer at the same height, or do I need to do a vent in the horizontal line come from the sink trap just as you have shown in the picture at the beginning of this thread?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can use a fixture cross at the same height and use the one vent.

Not a san cross. What you have now is a SanTee.
A double santee wouldn't work. I would need a double fixture fitting.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Offhand, from the pictures, I would suspect that a fixture fitting would make the drain go in the wrong direction and create a convoluted drain if the sink is going along the back, concrete, wall.

bradleonard

Reaction score
Nov_15_2010_5741.jpg

So I went to Home Depot and found these two fittings. It appears to me that I need a double fixture fitting, shown on the left. Is this correct? if I replace the T that I have right now with a double fixture fitting I won't need to change the vent at all?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks