What is the best kind of bathtub waste/overflow drain? So confused!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

StaceyNeil

Reaction score
We're putting a new tub/shower in. It will be used primarily by a teenage girl for showers and tub soaking. We saw that American Standard has a "Deep Soak" drain (#1640.305) that adds 2" water depth by relocating the overflow to the top of the overflow hole. She likes that idea (as do I, otherwise she'll use MY bathtub!); however, I wonder about the quality and design of the drain. It's a "toe-tapper" kind, and both the drain cover and overflow cover are chrome-plated plastic.

Do you think this will be fine, or should I look at one with metal parts?

Are the lever or cable types better when it comes to longevity?

How about hair clogs? She has long hair. Seems like lever type, with a grid, would be better for that than the toe-tapper kind.

I hate to spend big bucks ($80 for the one I'm considering) if it's a piece of junk--- but if it's fine, she'd appreciate the extra water depth.

What do you guys recommend?

Attachments

• as_1640_305.jpg
    as_1640_305.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 1,388
Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Can't say regarding the hair, but one thing to consider is that adding 2" or so more depth means that the water level could be 2" closer to the top rim of the tub than designed, and any margin of protection you had from making waves while moving around could very well mean water out on the floor.

StaceyNeil

Reaction score
Thanks, yeah I considered that. However this drain is marketed with the tub we got (American Standard Princeton) so I'm thinking it's probably OK. Plus, I'm tiling the walls and floor, and we have no little kids in the house.

No one has any input as to the best type of bathtub drain? C'mon, you guys must have some preference :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks