(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Uggg...Leak around tub valve..

Default Uggg...Leak around tub valve..

I spent the afternoon installing a new bathtub valve in the wall. All went fine. All my soldered joints look good. But I do have a small leak around the cold supply line where it is threaded into the valve. I get maybe 1 drip an hour. I really don't want to tear all this up for one little leak but don't know of any other way to seal this up? Ideas or should I just bite the bullet and redo the cold side?

Thanks.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Time ro redo that connection. One thing to check, many valves with a threaded connection are sized to accept a pipe directly into the valve body (i.e., the valve body acts like it's own fitting). So, most plumbers tend to solder the pipe into the valve rather than rely on a threaded connection that might leak. A proper soldered connection just doesn't leak. Especially with a lot of the fittings being imported, the quality of the threads and the fittings just aren't what they used to be, and unless you are careful what you're doing, a leak can happen.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Make sure you have an open system when you solder.
    If you don't have a faucet open somewhere, then the last joint you solder will leak.

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Time ro redo that connection. One thing to check, many valves with a threaded connection are sized to accept a pipe directly into the valve body (i.e., the valve body acts like it's own fitting). So, most plumbers tend to solder the pipe into the valve rather than rely on a threaded connection that might leak. A proper soldered connection just doesn't leak. Especially with a lot of the fittings being imported, the quality of the threads and the fittings just aren't what they used to be, and unless you are careful what you're doing, a leak can happen.
    I guess I don't get it. Are you saying inside the threaded part of the valve you can solder a tube? in this case I am installing a delta valve. I just don't get why these valves even have threaded ends...i would much prefer soldering.

My lines were open when I soldered. I didn't have the cartridge in the valve so and pressure built up was have vented thru it.

Yes, you can insert the tubing into the valve and solder it. The threaded connections are mostly for DIYers who do NOT know how to solder properly. Almost ALL Home Depot, and similar stores, sell valve with either female or male threads. When I get a customer who bought one with female threads, which you cannot solder the tubing directly into it, then I solder the male adapters into the valve's threads to eliminate the threaded connections, which could leak.