Search not working

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Terry - is it just me or is there a problem with the "search" function on the site? When I try to use the search box, it just takes me to a blank white screen.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I need up upgrade php to 5.2 and haven't figured out how to do it.
It seems that "advanced search" does a better job.
Or sometimes I google and add terrylove to the question.

I've been meaning to fix it. really. I also need to upgrade the forum software to the new version, and I'm sure that will help too. Maybe I can do all that this week.
Terry

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The PHP upgrade is something you need to talk with your hosting people about I believe it is done on their end...

Augusta

Reaction score
The search is partially working. It's just having issues with certain common words in the search. Needing to upgrade PHP, or attempting to upgrade vBulletin 4.0.2 to 4.0.9 has nothing to do with it.

You could:

a.) reduce the number of results returned found in vBulletin Options -> Message Searching Options
b.) increase your php memory limit (I assume you at least have access to your php.ini file).

Terry, let me know if you need help with any of it. I have been running a hosting company since the web began. Nowadays I do hosting for myself (my businesses). That PHP upgrade is a simple thing to do, but has to be carefully coordinated with customers. Unless you manage your own hosting server, your host company will do the PHP upgrade (usually on their own time table). It's a server upgrade though, and would affect all customers hosted by that company/server. Your forum software (vBulletin 4.0.2) would be an upgrade that would only affect you, since it's a database that belongs only to you, and files sitting in your account/directory.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Cannot use search

If this has been posted before, I wouldn't know cuz the search just returns a blank page.

XP/SP3 running IE8.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
OK, so after I posted this, below in the "similar" section was this:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?38957-Search-not-working

It suggested that advanced search may yeild better results but alas, it too returns a blank page. I guess I will have to use Google with the @site:terrylove.com switch.

Some other forums I frequent will put a link to a Google ste search as an option.

JuanSigned

Reaction score
OK, so after I posted this, below in the "similar" section was this:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?38957-Search-not-working

It suggested that advanced search may yeild better results but alas, it too returns a blank page. I guess I will have to use Google with the @site:terrylove.com switch.

Some other forums I frequent will put a link to a Google ste search as an option.
SweeT!! I didn't know you could do that. Now I have my search back. This site is such a wealth of knowledge I just hate to ask the same old question when its already been answered a dozen times before.

Off I go to search for how to connect a PVC tub drain to the ABS p trap.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Glad you find that search tip useful. As for anyone reading this thread, my two posts (#5 & 6 in this thread) were actually a new thread that got grafted onto the end of this one. It makes me appear somewhat daft out of context.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I upgraded the php to 5.2.14 and now the search seems to work again. Is it working for you guys?
Now that I have upgraded php, I can now upload the more recent software for the forum.

Augusta, that's your new avatar?

Last edited:

Augusta

Reaction score
Thought the avatar was funny, considering some of the grumpy responses I've been getting. How about the vintage avatar? ;-)

Haven't tried the search, but will let you know if I run into a problem with it. Glad you got it squared away.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I was getting so tired of it, that I called tech support on Sunday. This time they said they could it for a whopping $99.00
I would have paid that the first time I asked. I would rather pay them $99 then waste an afternoon trying to guess where to download a working file and then learn programming. An afternoon? Who am I kidding. After I finally figured it out, I would have been better off working at McDonalds.
I still have your email offer to fix it though, thanks. It was perhaps the reminder that I needed that the thing wasn't working.

Last edited:

Augusta

Reaction score
$99 is not bad at all to upgrade your php, although I don't have the important details (it appears you have ofumusic.com, terrylove.com, terrylove.info and terrylove.tv on a dedicated server?, hosting company have backups or do you keep your own?, you have access to a restore system?, they upgrading your vbulletin?, they use a test site before playing with your production site?, you have your own dedicated sql db?, they promise your search to be working?, they have 24/7 support when/if the upgrade goes bad?, etc.) If I didn't know you from Adam, I couldn't do it for $99 - nowhere near that. But like I said, I'd be pleased to help out for free in appreciation for the help I get in this forum (from a select few here).

I'd shoot it to you straight if I thought you were being ripped off. Unless you have a bit of technical experience and a technical guru by your side, it's not a DIY project. I may take a chance or two not holding on to a toilet tank with one hand while cutting a bolt, but I'd never do an upgrade to a production site without first restoring the entire site to a local machine (it's "easy" using WAMP), then doing the upgrade, then testing, then applying it to the live site (I do this with sites that are well over a gig backed up and compressed, with a 2TB drive I have to play with..space is cheap nowadays). There's more to doing it properly than meets the eye, and for $99 I'm willing to bet they skipped the testing phase, went straight to your live site and relied on your backup system if anything went wrong (hope you have impeccable backups..I know I do..even keep copies at 2 locations in case of a fire). Not that that was a "bad" way to do it, just riskier is all. You don't want to tackle an upgrade in case something goes wrong with it, you stand to lose a lot with this good thing you have going here. Generally speaking, your uptime is great as far as I can tell - site's always been up when I have accessed it.

This is my server uptime:
[root@mr1 ~]# uptime
21:03:26 up 737 days, 23:55

Which means I have an insane UPS system as well, since that server sits in my home office it's susceptible to outages. Not a single break-in (lots of attempts though), power loss, virus, or blip on the radar since I personally put that beast together 737 days ago.

Now you can look into Cyb Paypal Donate for Vbulletin ;-) It's pretty nifty.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello Group,

I say send Terry Money. It cost to make all this stuff work.

Terry is the best, and I Love it.

Wonder how he got the name Terry Love, Should be Love Terry.

Sorry Terry but You be the Man...

DonL...

P.S. I think it is more to do with the browser that people use than it is the PHP version. If You upgrade PHP versions then the Web Code may need to be up-graded also. Send Money to Terry for Help, and go back to your old Browser. (The one that worked, before you upgraded.) Newer is not always better...

""Theory only works in a vacuum" , there are just to many unknown variables in every day life."

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks