Tub spigot

Users who are viewing this thread

alannaimee

Reaction score
I have a tub spigot that isn't snug to the surround and even has some play when the plunger for the shower is activated (the plunger is in the spigot). House is plumbed with PEX.

Going to attempt to correct this, but I have a few questions:
I cannot locate a set screw for the spigot so I assume it's a screw on. I have tried to turn it, but it won't. Can the PEX fitting spin if the spigot is frozen, and can that cause damage to the PEX?

I'm trying to keep from opening up the backside of the wall.

Thanks to all.
Alan

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
.... Can the PEX fitting spin if the spigot is frozen, and can that cause damage to the PEX?...

It's almost guaranteed if you have pex comming to the spout and the spout is screwed on you will damage it trying to get it off, sorry

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While it is fine to bring pex TO the valve, between the valve and the spout and up to the showerhead, it is highly recommended to run that in copper. Not sure how they would have gotten a screw-on spout attached to pex. Plus, because pex is smaller ID than copper, often the restriction to the tub spout will cause water to back up into the shower riser and out the head, even when the diverter is not set. To make the spout stable, you need rigid materials anchored to blocking or the wall, and not possible with pex as the outlet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The pipe from the valve should be secured to the framing inside the wall, but if that had been done the spout would NOT wiggle. If it is not secured, and the spout does not readily unscrew from the pipe, you will almost definitely damage something if PEX is involved. Either snap the pipe down to the elbow, or rotate an adapter inside the spout. At this point your safest bet is to cut the spout in two so you can see how it was attached.

alannaimee

Reaction score
Was able to get a small inspection mirror inside the valve cutout. The spigot is fed with copper as is the showerhead from the valve with both supplies being PEX.

However, there is no blocking anywhere. Not behind the valve, not behind the spigot. Couldn't tell about the showerhead. Guess the wall will have to come open.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Alan

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks