Reaction score
from 6 PM EDT 'til the next morning.

How would I know?
How can I confirm/disprove this?
How can I stop it?

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
If they are that bored, let them have at it. Or get an Atari, the technology is less susceptable to intrusion. American made too.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
How is your modem and router set up? If you have Wi-Fi is it encrypted?

Do you have a firewall? Check the access permissions.

Scan your computer for malware. Use several different programs there doesn't seem to be any one that gets them all.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
We have a wireless router. We'll see with the time change if the problem onset also changes time.

I did ask the computer repair guy at Office Depot about this problem. He looked puzzled the whole time but said he would check the computer for spyware and other stuff but he later said he doesn't fix Apple computers. Only 4% of the malware out there is written for Apples.

I'm going to back up my 3 GB worth of data onto disks and reinstall the software, with Apple's phone help or not. Hardly anyone makes a back up drive small enough for me.

This is under warranty but Apple had a Spin Doctor pursuing this problem. The guy should run for Public Office or be a White House Press Secretary. So I wrote the Attorney General for MD and after some nonsense that office forwarded my two page letter to Apple in Cupertino.
We'll see.

I did learn over time that Spin Doctors, used car salesmen, sociopaths, Sophists and other people with personality disorders hate to be identified as such but they certainly enjoy the benefits thereof. Asking that all communication from now on be in writing is like holding a crucifix in front of a vampire.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have a wireless router, and it's not password protected, then any of your neighbors can use your internet connection.
A lot of people don't bother creating a password for it. It's the first thing you should do when setting one up.

And like Redwood mentions, there are programs for detecting spyware.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I would take a look and see if there are black helicopters in the air, and check for large black SUV's with heavily tinted windows cruising the neighborhood. If you wrap your computer with aluminum foil, it may help.

Cookie

Reaction score
Terry is right That Guy. I asked my son who is a computer systems engineer and he said the same thing Terry stated.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Well, I guess a password is the next thing I will be doing; it's a low risk or zero risk move and it might fix it.
Thanks.

Cookie

Reaction score
I hope it does fix it, just remember to choose wisely, your passwords. Unlike what I did once. Pick passwords no one else would know, so, I just pick a word that pops into my head at the moment. Then, I hope I remember it, :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks