(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: How do you remove Moen Shower Faucet

Default How do you remove Moen Shower Faucet

Here is the problem: When turning the knob on the shower faucet the water no longer comes on. However, if you remove the faceplate and use a screwdriver you can turn the water on and off. Do I just have a stripeed plastic knob or is the Moen cartirdge broken? Also I am having trouble removing the knob. I checked onthe MOEN web page and they say to use an allen wrench. But I don't see an allen wrench bolt anywere on the neck??Below is a link to a picture of the faucet.

Sebastien
    Last edited by saubouin; 10-08-2005 at 01:50 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Does it have a little logo cover in the middle of the cap? It often prys off, exposing the bolt. Not really familar with that valve (I'm not a pro).
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default Moen

Is that a pull - push and right/left type.

This is a standard Moen chateau. The screw in the picture holds the handle on. If you remove the screw, you can remove the handle. It is probalby stripped.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Moen Chauteau

http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/2353pt.pdf

If by moving the screw, the water will turn on, then you would need to replace the handle. A simple phillips screwdriver will remove the screw for the handle.
    Last edited by Terry; 10-09-2005 at 11:25 AM.

Default Same faucet, same problem

Quote Originally Posted by saubouin
    Here is the problem: When turning the knob on the shower faucet the water no longer comes on. However, if you remove the faceplate and use a screwdriver you can turn the water on and off. Do I just have a stripeed plastic knob or is the Moen cartirdge broken? Also I am having trouble removing the knob. I checked onthe MOEN web page and they say to use an allen wrench. But I don't see an allen wrench bolt anywere on the neck??Below is a link to a picture of the faucet.

Sebastien
    I have the exact same shower and problem. Have you found your answer yet, I am still needing help.

Default Moen

I'll go with JIMBO and say that it's got to do with the handle assembly.
    But where do you use the screwdriver to turn the faucet on?

"On further review" of the films from "the booth" it seems it may be a Positemp, which would explain why it comes on when he turns the screw. In any event, the first step is to remove the screw and handle. The problem will then reveal itself.

DIY Junior Member

Smile Change the handle!

Well, I've worked with a lot of Moen controls, and it sounds like somebody (who shall not be named!) in your household gave the plastic knob a mighty twist! And broke off the little "stop" parts inside. That's my best guess.

Use a Philips screwdriver, take off the offending knob - and order up a good lever knob from Moen - a metal one. You will be much happier. Of course, you may want to replace the Moen cartridge at the same time - how long has yours been in place? If several years - it's time for a new one. But be sure you have a Moen "cartridge puller" to help you out - the old one will probably be fairly well "cemented" in with water minerals! Good luck!