Tub spout in exterior wall

Users who are viewing this thread

mmax

Reaction score
I am remodeling my tub area and the tub spout is currently located where the overflow would normally be. This end of the tub is an exterior wall. The faucet is in the wall on the long side of the tub. I would like to move the spout up into the wall, but that will put the pipe in the exterior wall. Is that a problem? I am using this faucet (http://www.hansgrohe-usa.com/us_en/121090_31373335315F32375F3530343133.htm).

I plan to use the tub primarily as a shower and will only very occasionally use the tub spout. Will the diverter keep water out of the pipe between the valve and the tub spout if I am not using it? What about when the shower is off? Will there be water remaining in the pipe between the valve and tub spout that could potentially freeze in the exterior wall?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You have an old set up there that was probably installed in the 1930's...
The drain is controlled by the center knob on the tub faucet and the stopper is in a long tube with a second tube inside that raises and lowers, with water spilling over the top of the center tube as the overflow drain.

This drain does not meet code nor does the tub spout below the floor rim of the tub.
The reasoning is that it could present a back flow contamination to your water supply.
The drain and spout are an integral part of the old faucet and should be replaced along with it.
This is a project that just grew exponentially bigger for you.
How do you feel about remodeling your bathroom?

If the existing tub faucet is leaking and it is anything more than a washer parts will not be available.

mmax

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are describing. The house was built in the 1920s. The current tub faucet is three handle, with the center knob the diverter. However, it is not original- it is probably less than ten years old. To my knowledge there is no overflow, but I don't exactly follow what you are describing as the overflow. There is no stopper that i know of either.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The Tube will be inside the wall hidden from view, it is similar to the diagram below.

Fig-262-Combined-waste-and-Overflow-outside-Bathe.jpg

You should be able to see it once you open the wall for the mixer replacement.

mmax

Reaction score
Interesting. The drain end of the tub is the exterior wall. I guess I can't be certain but I don't think that is the set up with my tub. I do not think there is any overflow.

I guess regardless of this issue, is it safe to have the spout in the exterior wall with the faucet on the adjacent interior wall?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
How to you keep water in the tub. There WAS an overflow, but without the center control on a valve above it, it must have been abandoned. IT would only work when the "lift tube" inside it was used to plug the drain. You have to provide a leak proof method of sealing the spout opening on the end of the tub.

mmax

Reaction score
There is a rubber stopper for the drain to keep water in the tub. I have been in other houses in the neighborhood that have a similar set up, so doesn't seem too uncommon here.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The original "overflow" would only work as long as the original faucet was installed, so they have also probably been remodeled since then. If the tub drain plugs up, do NOT plunge the drain or you could force water up out of the overflow pipe in the wall.

mmax

Reaction score
I guess we'll see what is behind the tile when it comes down. I am curious now. If there is an overflow hopefully it can be connected to the hole in the tub where the spout is now.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The scope of remodel will probably include the tub being removed.

We are just telling you to be aware of it and not surprised when your scope of work expands exponentially,

How do you feel about a complete bathroom remodel anyway?

mmax

Reaction score
The tub is not coming out. The setup currently functions, so I don't really understand why replacing the valve and spout is going to turn into a total gut job. Worst case we'll leave the existing spout where it is.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Fixing existing things means you may not have to bring it up to code. Replacing valves, etc. means that anything you touch needs to be up to code. The tub/shower should have a working overflow, anti-scald technology on the valve, and a tub spout that is above the flood rim of the tub. Unless just repairing what's there, you should bring what you are changing up to code. Having the tub spout in an exterior wall may not be a problem...the supply lines, though, could be. There's only water in the line from the valve to the spout when you turn the valve on, so normally, it is dry - no water to freeze.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is absolutely no way to connect the overflow in the wall to the tub. In fact, the spout opening was typically too low in the tub wall to be used as an overflow anyway.

mmax

Reaction score
Having the tub spout in an exterior wall may not be a problem...the supply lines, though, could be. There's only water in the line from the valve to the spout when you turn the valve on, so normally, it is dry - no water to freeze.

Thanks- that is what I hoped. While I'd love to bring everything up to code, it just isn't feasible to add an overflow if the plumbing isn't already available. The new valve is anti scald and moving the spout up will resolve the back flow issue, so I guess it'll be two of three.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks