Removing Boiler Plug from a Steam Boiler

Users who are viewing this thread

dsorkin

Reaction score
If I wanted to how would I remove a plug from a 2 1/2 tapping on a steam boiler. It looks like it would require a square drive like for a socket wrench only much bigger. Is there a special tool to do this with?

I am thinking about redoing the near boiler piping to my boiler next summer. It is a 1979 120,000 BTU Dunkirk. It is working quite well after I replaced all the return piping, installed an electronic LWCO, automatic water feeder, reduced the pressure to 2 psig, and gave it a thorough cleaning. However, in my continuing research I think it was installed incorrectly in the first place resulting in too high steam velocity exiting the boiler (calculated to be around 30 fps). Possibly I will add a second riser or change the the existing riser to one that matches the size of the boiler tapping. (2" vs. 2 1/2"). Any thoughts?

Thanks

pachai

Reaction score
Getting plug out

If I wanted to how would I remove a plug from a 2 1/2 tapping on a steam boiler. It looks like it would require a square drive like for a socket wrench only much bigger. Is there a special tool to do this with?
Thanks

Well, it's been a year since this post, and
now I have the same question, so I am wondering
how this turned out for you?

(I'm expecting I just need to wait until the end
of the season, when I can work on it for a week
or two :)

Thanks

dsorkin

Reaction score
How I removed it

I struggled with the plug for a long time. I tried soaking it with penetrating oil over a multiple days, heating the surrounding metal with a torch, banging on it with a hammer, using a very long lever on the wrench - nothing worked. Finally I drilled a big hole in the plug with a step bit and then used a reciprocating saw to cut pie shaped wedges out of the plug. The cuts do not go all the way through so as not to damage the threads on the boiler. Then use a cold chisel and hammer to cut the remaining metal and remove the wedges. When using the saw also be careful not to cut the inside of the boiler. Good luck!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks