Shark Bite problem

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveS

Reaction score
I'm using Shark Bite fittings to attach to pex rough lines for a bar sink and bath room in newly finished lower level. I'm not being able to fully seat (to the 1" mark) for my 1/2" nominal pex. The pex I'm testing on is new, unmarked, and cleanly cut. Is there something I'm likely to be missing in how I try to push the fitting onto the pex?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Do you have the proper manufacturer's marking guage? I am pretty sure that 1/2" pex does not insert one inch.

SteveS

Reaction score
The box in which the 1/2" fittings are packaged does specify 1" in the instructions printed on the inside of the package. I have now obtained the official gauge. It does apply quite a bit more bevel on the end "de-burring" the end, but using it as a marking guide gives a mark at about 15/16", depending on how sharp the marker is. The on-line instructions tell us that the insertion should be to within .005" of the line marked from the gauge. I can't quite meet that tolerance. But, the insertion seems solid and positive, with additional force not giving deeper insertion. Moreover, I went ahead and tried the fittings on the actual rough plumbed pex, and experienced nary a drop when the water was turned on to those lines. I just hope the slight short-fall in insertion depth doesn't mean that longevity of the connection will be reduced.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
The o ring is where u get the seal so you will be fine.

Attachments

• sharkbite_system.jpg
    sharkbite_system.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 2,046
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks