How to use plunger

Users who are viewing this thread

Blazer45

Reaction score
Can you help me how to use the plunger. Do we have a instructional video here on how to use properly and the right way to use the plunger? Because really don't know how to use it. Thank you in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Anything can clog and will clog given enough waste matter and paper. There are some toilets that are more resistent to plugging than others.
The new toilets use 1.6 gallons or less.
The old ones may have been 3.5, 5.0 or even 7.0
And even those old toilets plugged.
That's why every home and plumber owns a plunger.
It's not like the idea of a toilet plugging has ever been a new idea.

No matter what toilet you are plugging, you can use a plunger with fairly good success if you leave water in the bowl.
Water in the bowl helps with the suction that you are attempting to get with the plunger.
The best plungers have an end that is about 2" in diameter. With some you have to pull the small end out, being that they tuck them inside.
korky_plunger.jpg

With water in the bowl, use very short quick strokes until you see the water vibrating,
When you see the vibration, pull up on the plunger.
Most of the time, the bowl will siphon out when you lift the plunger up and away.

Other methods include pouring a five gallon bucket of water straight into the bowl

Using a closet auger.

Last edited:

Blazer45

Reaction score
Thank you Terry I have read your reply and surely I will follow your steps and I have seen the picture of the plunger you post and then I try to find one in the store because it is very different from what I'm using. See attachments for the plunger that I'm using.

images.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't see how that big orange rubber plunger would work for a toilet bowl. I've never used one like that.
But then you're in Australia right Mate?

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
LOL I was just reading one of his other link spams...

That is some funky plumbing down under if that is the way they do it...

This is pretty neat too...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks