(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: No hot water in kitchen sink after dishwasher install

Default No hot water in kitchen sink after dishwasher install

Today, I installed a new Frigidaire dishwasher in my kitchen and now there is almost no hot water pressure in my sink after running the dishwasher for the first time.

The sink and the dishwasher share the hot water valve. The rest of the house's hot water pressure is working normally. Before the install there were no problems with the hot water pressure in the kitchen sink.

I ran the dishwasher on a complete 'normal' cycle without any dishes inside; I then lost hot water pressure in my sink 20-30 mins into the cycle.

The dishwasher install went over smoothly--no leaks, no unusual operating noises, or odors. The dishwasher that was replaced had not been used in years and is a older GE model from 1981.

Currently, the dishwasher has been off for several hours and there is still no hot water pressure in the kitchen sink.

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

I would guess that it has to do with the supply stop. Are you sure you had pressure after the DW install? Did you replace anything else?
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Yes, I still had pressure after the install, but only for a short amount of time.

I replaced the old copper supply line pipe with steel braided flex pipe, the DW drainage hose fed directly into my garbage disposal, and the power is powering and responding well enough to lead me to believe that there is nothing wrong there.

The dishwasher itself seems to be working normally, I just can't seem to pinpoint why my kitchen sink has now lost hot water pressure.

Nothing else has been installed/repaired; just the DW install today.

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

It sounds like it all should be OK....
    Is the braided supply line one of the ones that is supposed to stop leaks??
    The first thing I would look at is the line if that's the only change to the sink supply.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

Check the braided line if they are to long they tend to kink if you have any sharp bends in them.
    John

I am thinking it is the line, too. It has some line slack that coils the pipe, but there are no kinks or sharp bends.

I bought a dishwasher supple line kit, something similiar to this:

I wrapped both fittings on the elbow with a small amount of Teflon tape, as well as the fitting for the hot water faucet that leads into the supply line.

Should I remove the Teflon tape around the end of the elbow that already came attached to the supply line?
    Last edited by bullseye; 12-29-2009 at 02:43 PM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Those connectors don't need Teflon Tape,
    Yes remove it.

If if it has a label that says "Floodsafe" throw it away.

Have you removed the supply line to the hot side of the sink faucet?
    You can check there to see if the stop is clogged.

Last edited by Terry; 12-29-2009 at 07:14 PM.

I think I found the problem.

The supply line is an "anti-flood/auto-shutoff" feature line. I think this may explain the low pressure in the sink.

I am heading out to the plumbing store to pick up regular steel braided flex pipe without the 'auto-shutoff'.

you do not need to replace it. Disconnect the hose from the valve, put it back and turn the valve SLOWLY open.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

you do not need to replace it. Disconnect the hose from the valve, put it back and turn the valve SLOWLY open.
    lati cz
    Yes, and then when he runs the dishwasher and it gets into the rinse cycle, it can shut itself off again.
    Then he removes the fitting, resets the floodsafe, and finishes the wash.

And then the next day he can do the same thing.
    Pretty cool.
    You can almost run load of dishes.

I wonder how many dishwashers are burning out?
    Being run dry.

I just read something very similar the other day. Dishwasher didnt wash and by the time it was noticed everything was baked on with heat element heating and no water inside to wash with. After thinking it might be time for a new machine, it was discovered the trouble was one of these floodsafe lines. The owner had just replaced the old line a few days before and did not know he had gotten a floodsafe one until he was asked about that. That is when he looked, found that it was, removed it and replaced with regular hose and machine works perfect.

terry. im having the same problem at my house. the only difference id that i didnt replace my supply line cause it was working fine ten mins before the dishwasher repair man fixed my dishwasher .. it had only been two weeks that i was out of a dish washer and nuthing was changed just the removel of the didhwasher so it could be repaired .. i had them come back out the next day after the repair to see if there was a installalion error . but they said there wasnt. .. my supply line is a copper pipe. i need help