Air pressure test

Users who are viewing this thread

ugabulldog

Reaction score
How many psi should I blow into cpvc supply lines to test??? I blew 40 psi and it leaks slowly over an hour or so. The universal tub valves shouldn't allow air to escape should they....I am going to try a new pressure gauge to make sure it is ok, as well.

UPDATE: ,....it is leaking at about 1 psi per hour, ...I used soapy water and found a leak in the valve stem,........At that rate should I just conclude that is only leak or buy new valve stem and retest???

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
plastic pipe should NEVER be pressurized with air. It is dangerous. Pressurize with system water pressure.

An air test on copper can be up to 50 PSI
No air testing for plastic pipes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zorka

Reaction score
Air is compressible and water is not (well, not significantly compared to air). If something fails under air pressure, 'stuff' (fittings, pipe segments, etc.) can get shot out at a high velocity.

This is why pressure vessels are tested using pressurized liquid, not gas.

Asktom

Reaction score
If the plastic pipe is broken under air pressure it can throw nasty shards of plastic schrapnel. There is also a remote chance that glue fumes in the pipe could diesel and blow the pipe up, more shards.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The problem with air test....you will get fluctuation due to changes in temperature, and natural expansion/contraction of components. With a water test, there are two results....either ALL the water stays inside the pipe, or it doesn't! One drop of leakage, anywhere, is unacceptable, and also immediately apparent. Air test is "iffy".

Can you bring in a couple gallons of water, and a pump?

ugabulldog

Reaction score
Ok,....it is leaking at about 1 psi per hour, ...I used soapy water and found a leak in the valve stem,........At that rate should I just conclude that is only leak or buy new valve stem and retest???

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Ok,....it is leaking at about 1 psi per hour, ...I used soapy water and found a leak in the valve stem,........At that rate should I just conclude that is only leak or buy new valve stem and retest???
So it's the valve stem packing? Sometimes just tightening the valve stem nut fixes this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks