Bath + Laundry Layout Feedback

Users who are viewing this thread

dcp143

Reaction score
Hello, I've watched the forum for quite a while and learned a lot. Anyways, this is my first post and is regarding a bathroom renovation currently underway. I am redoing a bathroom with a sink, toilet, shower, washer and dryer. Space is tight since the room is about 13' by 6'. I live in NW PA and am under the IPC. I have drawn up the floorplan of the bath and sketched a design of the plumbing and vent system. Please let me know if you see any issues with the system as shown on the attached pictures...

Thanks,
Darren

0198_0001_Page_1.jpg
0198_0001_Page_2.jpg
0198_0001_Page_3.jpg

Fubar411

Reaction score
Not a plumber and not very knowledgeable...
You need 2" for that shower, unless it is a bathtub shower.
I think the vent on the cleanout is usless, but I could be wrong.
I think you need a 3" vent going out for all of this.

dcp143

Reaction score
Thanks Fubar411, I didn't think that vent at the downstream cleanout would be necessary but wasn't sure. So I should increase shower stall drain to 2" and stack/drain/vent past laundry to 3"?

Is there any issue with running the vent horizontally above the ceiling out the wall since I have a relatively flat roof above with rolled roofing and could not seal under shingles?

Any suggestions to simplify or reduce # of fittings or other comments?

dcp143

Reaction score
I saw in the IPC (2003 version) a section describing location of vent terminal and "extension through the wall" Section 904.5 and 904.6 talking about vents through walls and the necessary distances from windows and other building features. Did I mis-interpret this section or maybe it has been revised in newer editions? Thanks

PS there is a soil stack with vent downstream serving an upstairs bath that terminates through the roof, 3" or 4" ,cant remember...

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
All the shower, and washing machine, need are 1 1/2" vents. The vent at the cleanout is cosmetic, not functional. The cleanout at the laundry would be better if it were positioned in the wall behind the washer. The size of the vent pipes exiting the roof varies according to the local codes.

dcp143

Reaction score
Thanks, HJ.
Still not sure if I'm allowed to go out thru the wall with clearances, or if I need a 3" drain and vent all the way past washer but for the little extra $$, the bigger pipe and cleanout is probably a good idea. This is my "final" plan with changes made. Any thoughts, thanks for all your help...

Thanks, Darren

0199_0001.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You are in PA, which is "cold country", and that means you will probably NOT be able to vent through the side wall, because that could cause the vent to be closed off with frost. Usually in cold areas, only the short piece of pipe above the roof can be exposed to the weather, and that one has to be increased in size so IT does not frost over.

rusak

Reaction score
I'm under UPC.
906.1 Each vent pipe or stack shall extend through
its flashing and shall terminate vertically not less
than six (6) inches (152 mm) above the roof nor less
than one (1) foot (305 mm) from any vertical surface.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Something about "bathroom groups" tells me you might want to send the lav waste through the wall over to the shower, and tie in there as a wet vent. Or send the shower drain over towards the lav to pick up a wet vent behind the toilet. Either way, this replaces the vent you now have drawn for the shower. You won't need to roll the Wyeup 45 degrees as you have shown for the shower vent. This eliminates the early venting for the WC and that is fine as WC's don't need venting as early in the pipe as you have it drawn. The reason to combine the lav drain and the shower drain is so the WC becomes the last fixture in the chain, downstream of these two.

In your latest drawing you have shown a larger pipe size for the washer drain. This is not good. Go back to the 2" pipe diameter. When pipes are sized too wide, they don't carry stuff well, and you get more sedimentation, not less. Washers work well on 1.5" pipe (in Canada they have the same washers and only 1.5" pipe), so upsizing to 2" is already enough. Going to 2.5" (rare) is one more size up. Going to 3" is another size bigger. It's now too big. Go back to 2".

Your drawing shows the vent built with SanTees and going to a wall. I don't get it. I also saw that you put a 3" vent at the washer. Wow, talk about overkill.

The last clean out creates a little dead end at the curve. I would do the curve with a 1/8 (135 degree) bend and put a clean out a foot ahead of it, rolled partway up.

Based on what I've written so far, I might route the drains in the basement differently. Like maybe with the WC entering in the center of a double Wye.

Since I'm not a plumber, change nothing until someone else confirms some of what I just wrote here.

lane234

Reaction score
vent thru roof no exception!! manifold system... several vents can join and go out the roof so u do not look like a porcupine roof.... saw a Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector I liked what it showed on dif plumbing aspects... trying to think mine thru... u draw good. elaine

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks