Water softener problem - advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
No, not at all. You said the BLFC controled flow out of the brine tank. You agreed that there is a gap in the BLFC for the brine to go around. I'm just trying to figure out how in the world you could think the BLFC controlled flow out of the brine tank when:
1. Water will follow the path of least resistance.
2. The BLFC can only be installed in one direction.
3. If the BLFC controlls flow out of the brine tank, then why would they make different size injectors which in my opinion will change the flow rate of the draw draw and not the BLFC.
Please explain.
If as you say the injector only controls flow, why do they change the BLFC button to various sizes?

The injector alone does not control flow, the BLFC button and the injector together do. And that is what I said that you have been going on about since, so Skip, you can believe anything you want to but it is the combination, not just the injector.

biermech

Previous member
Reaction score
If as you say the injector only controls flow, why do they change the BLFC button to various sizes?

The injector alone does not control flow, the BLFC button and the injector together do. And that is what I said that you have been going on about since, so Skip, you can believe anything you want to but it is the combination, not just the injector.
Changing the BLFC and injector has nothing to do with any kind of efficiency and the injector is usually dictated by the size of the tank. the BLFC controls how much water flow into and out of the salt tank per minute.
Please show me where you stated both the injector and BLFC control flow from the brine tank. I'm here to say that is not, repeat not, the case. The flow rate will not change by placing a bigger BLFC in the unit. It will, however, change if you place a bigger venturi. Please prove to me different. You haven't. Even with all your links. They make different size BLFC because bigger unit require more salt.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
They make different size BLFC because bigger unit require more salt.
The BLFC does not control the amount of salt. A larger BLFC allows more gpm/lbs of brine refill water to flow in a shorter number of minutes/period of time. Meaning that the amount of salt in lbs used is controlled by the number of minutes Refill is allowed to flow.

In the article link you posted, they don't mention the BLFC OR the Dlfc having anything to do with controlling slow rinse/brine draw flow rate but we know the Dlfc is involved. So go take out a BLFC and see if the brine water takes a shorter length of time to get to down to the air check or if it takes the same length of time or longer with the BLFC in.

BTW, if you asked some resin manufacturers to go over that article you linked to, I know some that aren't going to agree with the author/writer on a number of things in it.

biermech

Previous member
Reaction score
Please show me where you stated both the injector and BLFC control flow from the brine tank. I'm here to say that is not, repeat not, the case. The flow rate will not change by placing a bigger BLFC in the unit. It will, however, change if you place a bigger venturi. Please prove to me different. You haven't. Even with all your links. They make different size BLFC because bigger unit require more salt.

Lets get back on track. Show me where you stated that both BLFC and injector control flow out of the brine tank. I would still like you to prove the BLFC controls the flow out of the brine tank. You haven't which means you are wrong but will not admit it. There is a reason there is a gap so the BLFC can move and there is a reason the BLFC can only be installed one way. LOL The BLFC does not control the amount of salt? You are correct. Now why would you made a statement like that? The BLFC does control the amount of salt used.LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
There is a reason there is a gap so the BLFC can move and there is a reason the BLFC can only be installed one way. LOL The BLFC does not control the amount of salt? You are correct. Now why would you made a statement like that? The BLFC does control the amount of salt used.LOL
The BLFC can be installed correctly or incorrectly; it fits either way and you can install it either way.

The rest, I'm not able to follow what you mean to say. I'm correct, but why would I make a statement like that....?

Tell us how the BLFC controls the amount of salt used.

biermech

Previous member
Reaction score
The BLFC can be installed correctly or incorrectly; it fits either way and you can install it either way.

The rest, I'm not able to follow what you mean to say. I'm correct, but why would I make a statement like that....?

Tell us how the BLFC controls the amount of salt used.
Lets stay on point. You stated the BLFC controlled flow out of the brine tank. This is why I said you are wrong. What causes the flow of water out of the brine tank? The venturi correct? If the venturi has a flow rate of .3 gpm, then the amount of vaccum is based on that flow. Change the flow rate of the venturi and you change the rate of flow out of the brine tank. It has nothing to do with the BLFC.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Have it your way but, if you have a .5 gpm BLFC button and an injector at or larger than say .5 gpm, and take the BLFC button out you'll get the brine down to the air check where the flow is shut off quicker/sooner than with the BLFC in the line IOWs you can't flow backwards through the BLFC button without reducing flow; it is impossible IMO.

Again, tell us how the BLFC controls salt use.

biermech

Previous member
Reaction score
Have it your way but, if you have a .5 gpm BLFC button and an injector at or larger than say .5 gpm, and take the BLFC button out you'll get the brine down to the air check where the flow is shut off quicker/sooner than with the BLFC in the line IOWs you can't flow backwards through the BLFC button without reducing flow; it is impossible IMO.

Again, tell us how the BLFC controls salt use.
So what you are saying is that with a venturi of .3 and a BLFC of .5 than the BLFC can not control the flow out of the brine tank.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This thread is a shining example of how things get out of hand. The BLFC only controls flow out of the brine tank in that it establishes the minimal cross sectional area that the brine will flow through in the same way that the size of the pipes feeding the softener control the maximum volume of water flow through the valve unless pressure is either increased or decreased. Since the BLFC is a set orifice (yes you can change them) it establishes the maximum flow allowable given the venturi installed. In itself however the BLFC is not the determining factor, only a componant in the system. I can not for the life of me understand why time and time again we have to get bogged down in semantics or minutia that in the end have no bearing at all on the origional question and only serve as a platform to one up each other. In the end, picking nits will only get you a pocket full of nits which are of little or no value.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
This thread is a shining example of how things get out of hand.

I can not for the life of me understand why time and time again we have to get bogged down in semantics or minutia that in the end have no bearing at all on the origional question and only serve as a platform to one up each other. In the end, picking nits will only get you a pocket full of nits which are of little or no value.
Well I know you know why but I'll remind you. Go to post #1 and you'll see I replied in post #2. Since then Biermech/Skippy Wolverton now AKA Water Dude just had to pick at something I said and he's been at it ever since and now you have to stick your nose in and whine'n complain and pretend to not understand what's going on while going back on your promise to not post here again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks