(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new bathroom and laundry room being done by contractor

Quote Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
    I wish I was a pop and drop. No thinking type work? I must have kicked your Toto somewhere along the way. Maybe it was that silicone.

Troubleshoot a pump 600 feet down, rebuild an electric furnace, keep four kids in line building a new rental all in one day. Sounds like push and drop dead to me. I will trade you to sell a porcelin commodity and set some wax rings anyday.

Would never do a remodel except for myself - too much stress and carnage between personalities, and arguments about "deposits" and timing. Coronary inspiring work.

Every job gets the personality review in my world. Some get a thick contract with a huge deposit even if illegal [testing!] and some get the whole thing done, 15 - 30 thousand dollars without even a handshake. Always got paid. Never went to court in 45 years.

Sometimes I am a bank, but it sure gets repeat customers that pay like clockwork.
    Hey, if you're going to hit below the belt with a particular group in residential remodel / construction - kick the painters! I've got much respect for every group in home building - plumbers, brick masons, tile guys, HVAC, framers, hardwood floor installers, electricians, cabinet installers, drywallers, concrete pouring, and roofers. When I built my 6,000 sq ft 3 story home with pool house, the paint labor estimate was quadruple any other estimate on the home. Painters don't need so much as a single CE course or certification, yet they command the most money and have the highest profit margin. Go figure.

Would never do a remodel except for myself - too much stress and carnage between personalities, and arguments about "deposits" and timing. Coronary inspiring work.
    I hear ya on that. Two things I'd never do for an income (or for free): divorce attorney, or residential home builder. Would much rather shoot myself in the head. Twice.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

POP the breaker and DROP the bill! Loosen the lugs on the breaker for next months income. Give em' a little squirt of muriatic acid for extra fun! Its a great life.

Only thing better is peddling toilets and flipping fast food.

IAN WROTE:Troubleshoot a pump 600 feet down Yes, check the breaker FIRST next time Ballvalve.
    Last edited by ballvalve; 10-29-2010 at 03:10 AM.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by augusta View Post
    Hey, if you're going to hit below the belt with a particular group in residential remodel / construction - kick the painters! I've got much respect for every group in home building - plumbers, brick masons, tile guys, HVAC, framers, hardwood floor installers, electricians, cabinet installers, drywallers, concrete pouring, and roofers. When I built my 6,000 sq ft 3 story home with pool house, the paint labor estimate was quadruple any other estimate on the home. Painters don't need so much as a single CE course or certification, yet they command the most money and have the highest profit margin. Go figure.

I hear ya on that. Two things I'd never do for an income (or for free): divorce attorney, or residential home builder. Would much rather shoot myself in the head. Twice.
    Painters are really a bizarre bunch.

Ian, this may sound like an odd question, but from your signature image it looks like you have a pizza place. Am I right? I'm just curious.

I found this discussion interesting although I won't get in to political debate. To be honest I'm not sure where I stand on certain issues. There are so many different sides to things.

I was going to say that it doesn't necessarily mean someone is a bad person if they keep getting taken by unscrupulous contractors. Some people just have bad luck and others might be too trusting (or not-so-great radar for the guys that take advantage of people). Sometimes its a combination of both. There are certain groups who are more likely to be taken advantage of. Some unscrupulous contractors will charge women more for things because they believe most women to be ignorant about the prices and how things are done and will say they need more work than they really do. Immigrants are another group that get taken for fools. Of course, there are equal opportunity jerks who will stick it to anyone they possibly can.

Some areas (like mine) are full of the unscrupulous breed and others have more options and more honest people like the gentlemen on this forum.

I do agree that there are too many lawyers. This country is very litigious-- of course, lawyers have been a problem as far back as the days of Socrates, so that is nothing new.

I feel for any contractors who have done work and then had the customers gyp them. I also feel for customers who have been screwed over by contractors. It can sometimes be tough to draw the line and decide how to best protect both parties. Despite the lawyer problem, I do think that a good solid contract is one good way to help and that more customers should try to find out as much as they can about the products and services (but not to the point of trying to tell the contractors how to do their jobs based on a few minutes of web-browsing-- those can be obnoxious backseat driver types) enough to know what they want or to know for certain that they are getting the right person for the job. Of course, with all this talk of getting the right person its not always so easy when one lives in a "bad" area that doesn't have enough of the competent and licensed guys to go around.

Jeez, I had no idea painters were so expensive. I always do my own painting.
    Here's a painting I did once.

Although I just used white paint and a paint roller when I painted my friend's kitchen (for free).

And to get back on topic, I have heard that 10% down is a normal deposit before the job starts. What is it 10% down then 50% partway through and the last is after? or does it progress somehow along the way?
    I know someone was saying that the customer should never pay in full until the job is completely done just in case.

In Canada you are required to be bonded with an insurance company before you can take money up front. This protects the customer and the contractor. The contractor gets to take money up front and the customer is protected by a government backed bond. If you are not bonded and take money up front you can lose your business license and not be allowed to attain a new one.

CA law is 10% or $1,000 whichever is lower, as mentioned before.

But 10% for a job next year? Too early for that. Don't think it's justified. Many things can happen between now and next year.

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jvinkle View Post
    In Canada you are required to be bonded with an insurance company before you can take money up front. This protects the customer and the contractor. The contractor gets to take money up front and the customer is protected by a government backed bond. If you are not bonded and take money up front you can lose your business license and not be allowed to attain a new one.
    Really?

I've been doing it wrong all this time..... I would bet most guys are if this in fact the law. Never heard this before today.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.