Vespin II supply line Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Rcevan

Reaction score
We'd like to get a Vespin II CST474CEFG
The new supply line to the toilet area was run 6" to the left of center.
The Vespin literature says the line should be 8" off center.

Will there be an interference between the skirt of the toilet and the valve?
Would be need to move the supply line a few more inches to the left?
Or just get a Drake (CST454CEFG)?

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Almost every manufacturer says eight inches.
Eight inches will work on every toilet.

They don't list the least amount of space you can get by with.

Even the standard 12" rough for the drain, that's not the minimum either.

Below is a lot less then 8" on the water.
I think its less then 6"

cst474_angle.jpg

TOTO Vespin II, CST474CEFG on a 14" rough-in using the 14" Unifit adapter.

Last edited:

Otearai

DIY Engineer
Reaction score
We'd like to get a Vespin II CST474CEFG
The new supply line to the toilet area was run 6" to the left of center.
The Vespin literature says the line should be 8" off center.

Will there be an interference between the skirt of the toilet and the valve?
Would be need to move the supply line a few more inches to the left?

Why does Toto say 8"? Do they just want a lot of cautious space?

We discovered the answer today when we had our new Vespin II installed.

Our supply line was 6" from center. However, unlike the installation that Jamie Love performed, our supply pipe came, not out from the wall, but up from the floor.

The back of the Vespin II skirt is 12-1/2" wide, which means that its footprint extends 6-1/4" on each side of center. We could not install the Vespin II with a floor-emerging supply line that is 6" from center.

We had to move the supply line two inches to the left, per the Toto installation instructions.

Cue

Reaction score
Our supply line was 6" from center. However, unlike the installation that Jamie Love performed, our supply pipe came, not out from the wall, but up from the floor.

The back of the Vespin II skirt is 12-1/2" wide, which means that its footprint extends 6-1/4" on each side of center. We could not install the Vespin II with a floor-emerging supply line that is 6" from center.

This is the same issue that I have. I am considering the Aimes toilet. From the image, it looks as if the skirt slopes inward as you go back instead of outward like the Vespin II. Can anyone who has one, or has seen one confirm this? Better yet, can anyone give a measurement of the width at the back of the skirt?

Thank you

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
The Aimes looks to be roughly 12" at the floor, 13-14" midway up the bowl and 15" at the top of the bowl.

Basically, if you are installing a skirted toilet, you need to install your supply 8x6 from the flange to ensure you don't run into problems like so many homeowners and installers do when they don't read or understand the instructions. The picture that Terry showed of the Vespin II installation is NOT standard, and I tend to think that they lucked out on account of there being wainscoting there. But if you are lucky to have an installer plan out a supply for a skirted toilet like that, then you should count yourself lucky that you have found a plumber for life!

Otearai

DIY Engineer
Reaction score
Per the Toto instructions? The Toto instructions show the shutoff on the wall, not the floor.

The "Check for correct dimensions" diagram on page 1 of Toto' installation instructions specifies only distances to the water supply connection point, and shows 8" lateral, 4-1/2" vertical, clearance required. That drawing does picture the supply pipe itself, and does not specify that the shutoff must be on the wall or that it cannot be from the floor.

On page 2, in Step 1, the instructions state, "Water supply must be approximately 8in. or 10in. to the left (facing bowl) from center line of closet flange and approximately 4-1⁄2" above the floor." Again in Step 1, these written instructions do not specify that wall supplies are a condition or that floor supplies will not work. Although the illustration that accompanies Step 1 -- which has to show a pipe SOMEWHERE -- happens to show the pipe emerging from the wall, Toto does not require a wall pipe as a condition for proper installation.

As we have proven from experience, if one follows Toto's instructions for "Check for correct dimension" and a floor-emerging supply pipe is located 8" left of center, the Vespin II installs perfectly.

I conclude, therefore, that 8" lateral displacement of either a wall supply or a floor supply is, indeed, "per the Toto instructions," though the 8" minimum may be generous in instances where the pipe emerges from a wall at a higher elevation than Toto's specified 4-1/2".

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
95% of all homes have shutoffs at 6"

100% of all specs for all brands call for 8"

So for those 5% of homes that have 8" to the left you are fine.
We however being plumbers, are able to install the Vespin II at 6" to the left.
I guess we are just that good. Maybe there is magic involved.

Less then 1% of all homes have a supply in the floor. I'm sorry for you that your supply is from the floor. That does change some things for those less then 1% of the population. But then most of the time when someone asks that question, they will say they have a floor mounted supply.

JohnChappel

Reaction score
95% of all homes have shutoffs at 6"

100% of all specs for all brands call for 8"

So for those 5% of homes that have 8" to the left you are fine.
We however being plumbers, are able to install the Vespin II at 6" to the left.
I guess we are just that good. Maybe there is magic involved.

Less then 1% of all homes have a supply in the floor. I'm sorry for you that your supply is from the floor. That does change some things for those less then 1% of the population. But then most of the time when someone asks that question, they will say they have a floor mounted supply.

I'm in the unlucky 1%. I'd like to install the TOTO Soiree, but my supply is in the floor, 5" off center and 3" out from the wall. Any recomendations for toilets that can be installed in this scenario or should I have the supply moved?

JC

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it was mine, I'd move the supply. It shouldn't be too big of a job. Might require opening a bit of the wall, but patching drywall is easy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks