Looking for a toilet NOT made in China

Users who are viewing this thread

trevd

Reaction score
Here in Ontario, it seems pretty tough to find a toilet not made in China these days. Call me anal, but for our bathroom reno, I'm trying really hard to stay away from anything made in China. Something about human rights abuses, melamine in baby milk and dog food, lack of mine safety, communist dictatorship, poisons in kids toys, lack of respect for copyright laws, etc... etc... etc.... that turns me right off Chinese made goods. I feel that taking my dollars elsewhere is one of the only ways I can voice my opinion on these things.

I would prefer to buy stuff from North America, but would settle for stuff made anywhere other than China. But it's really tough to find out where stuff is built until you actually are holding the box it comes in, and even then, sometimes it's not marked.

We've been looking at Toto toilets, but yesterday at the bathroom showroom, noticed that the Aquia that we were looking at, had "Made in China" stamped on the inside of the tank. My email last week to Toto customer support asking where their toilets are made has so far been unanswered.

Can someone tell me which toilets are made in the USA, which are made in China, and which are made elsewhere.

Also, since we're doing our entire bathroom, if someone knows where bathtub and sink faucets are made, that would help to.

Thanks!

Trevor
Ottawa

webbie25

Reaction score
I don't know of any manufacturer that makes their product exclusivley in North America. Toto makes what I consider to be one of the best flushing toilets in the industry today!

mwn007

Reaction score
I Agree take a look at the Summit 3 is made in Mansfield Ohio USA!

When I inquired on the origin of the Summit I got the following response 4 hours later...

"The Summit has been a great seller for Mansfield; one, it flushes well and is USA made right here in our Ohio plant. The maverick is basically the same flushing technology but is not produced in the USA, is higher priced, and does not come packaged in one box.

Kay Whitcomb
Technical Support Coordinator

I wrote about the Summit 3 in the following post:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?38671-Mansfield-Summit-3&highlight=summit+3

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A third of the toilets I sell are made in America.
Most from the manufacturing plant in Georgia on the East Coast by TOTO.

Most of the one-piece toilets, and a lot of the Drake II, Vespin.

When I look at my stock, about a third of it says "made in USA"

http://www.totousa.com/Professionals/BuyAmericanAct.aspx

TOTOUSA.com provides all of the supporting files for each of the products in this list, including spec sheets, installation instructions, images and product features. Please call 888-295-8134 to ask about TOTO-compliant products, or use the list in TOTO's ARRA/BAA brochure and TOTOUSA.com to find ideal products for your project.
Click here to download a PDF list of TOTO's compliant ARRA/BAA products.

Last edited:

trevd

Reaction score
Great! Thanks Terry! Exactly what I was looking for!

You don't happen to know which shower/tub and sink faucets would be made in North America, do you?

Thanks,

Trevor

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The model numbers of Toto faucets made in the US will be on the list Terry linked above as well.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Much American Standard, and yes even some Kohler, is made in Mexico, not china. Kohler does still have plants in North America. Other than looking at a box, I don't know how to find out where their stuff is made.

One of the worlds largest manufacturer is the Canadian Company Foremost. ( all made in China, of course)

Last edited:

KiterTodd

Reaction score
If you have a plumbing warehouse near you that stocks Toto, just have them look through their stock and pick U.S. made toilets. Or, perhaps someone like Terry can even do it mailorder and check for you in advance.

I put two Drakes in and one had both parts made in the U.S., and the other had one piece made in the US and the other made in China. Had I noticed before I got home, I would have had them haul the China piece back for a U.S. version. For the same principles that you noted.

Good luck!

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Moen faucets seem to be all USA after the bottom of the line. Kohler has a plant that covers an entire city or two in Wisconsin. Finally, there is a website called Tire rack.com , I believe, ships tires without tax and gives complete specs on country of origin per size ordered. Very amazing, and cheaper than billy bobs tire shop by far.

There are a few websites dedicated to helping one find domestic products, look them up.

By the way, America lost its LAST clothespin factory a few years ago, and Canada's just bit the Chinese dust too. You can only get Chinese made clothespins now, made of junk wood on American machines shipped to china for 1 cent on the dollar.

Pretty pathetic that we now scrap or burn our little wood leftovers rather than make them into a useful product.

A little bit of hope: Look up "Saunders Wood products" on the web.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks