How to remove thread compound?

Users who are viewing this thread

CharlieNH

Reaction score
I had to take out the suction pipe to my Sears shallow well pump, and the previous connection had been done with thread compund instead of teflon tape, so there's a lot of residue of thread compound in the female threads in the plastic pump body. Aside from doing the best I can with a toothbrush, is there any solvent that will help to clean these threads? It's not the white teflon type compound; it's gray. I'd like to use teflon tape when I put in my new pipe. Thanks. Charlie

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't think that I'd worry about it...it's probably still somewhat soft and will not impede the seal. A pipe tap would cut it out cleanly, but probably not worth the effort, unless you happen to have one. You could just wipe on some new pipe dope, and forget the teflon altogether, or use both.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It would not be there unless the previous installer put the joint compound INSIDE the thread and then screwed the pipe in. That is an improper way to do it. It has not caused a problem so far, so it should not later, either.

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
Yes, The male thread is proper. You only need to put it on the first quarter inch of the pipe, not the entire thread length. If you are using tape, get the thicker yellow gas tape,

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, The male thread is proper. You only need to put it on the first quarter inch of the pipe, not the entire thread length. If you are using tape, get the thicker yellow gas tape,

I always was taught to NOT put tape OR dope on the first two threads.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks