Hard seat and soft seat

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Hard seat means metal to metal contact. A soft seat would have a seating surface with a rubber gasket, or maybe a teflon ring, or such.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When it comes to check valves, a soft seat will not make as much noise when it closes. The hard metal to metal contact of the hard seat can cause be quite loud, especially if there is a lot of back pressure "slamming " it shut. The hard contact can also cause it to "rebound" creating a chattering noise.

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Related question: some swing checks are labeled "for horizontal installation only". I do understand why. But why aren't all of them labeled that way? Can some of them be installed vertical or is it just that some manufacturers fail to label them properly?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I cannot imagine why they would be labled that way, since gravity and the weight of the liquid would close them in a vertical orientation. When they are installed horizontally, some have a label to show which side should be on top, because the hinge location is not obvious.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks