Softener hookup issue - 1" bypass, 3/4" Main

Users who are viewing this thread

Adawg

Reaction score
Hi, I am planning to replace my existing softener tomorrow. I ordered the replacement online and talked with the sales rep. I told him what I have, and he sold me a nice system.
Here is the issue - I have 3/4" plumbing throughout the house, but he sent me a 1" bypass for the softener. Is that a problem? Is there a safe, effective way to upsize to 1" going in the softener and coming out before getting sized back to 3/4?

If the answer is send it back and start over, I will. But if I can make it work I'd sure like to.

Many thanks for any advice!

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Depending on the bypass that you have with the new system, all that you might need are 2 1"X3/4" bushings.. put the bushings into the bypass if it is a fleck bypass.. if it is the plastic with yoke then use 2 1"X3/4" reducers.

Life is then good.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the two softeners are the same brand, the old bypass may attach right to the new softener, otherwise get two 1 x3/4 couplings, reducers, or elbows depending on what you need to make it work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks