Trouble with bathroom sink plumbing - s-shape???? Need help fast!

Users who are viewing this thread

nole01

Reaction score
Hey all - I am replacing my vanities and needed to have the valves moved...when we removed the drywall, we saw the attached (photo attached) behind the drywall. The straight pipe out led to the p-trap. Is this a problem? As you can see, it's an outside wall/concrete. I think that originally there was a shorter vanity that was replaced with a taller (35") one and this was the fix for it. Am I going to have siphoning? sewage issue? DSCF0169.JPG

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In theory you could...but has it been a problem? Have you noticed odors due to trap siphoned? If not, I would be inclined to leave it alone.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That picture makes more sense than a description. YES, it is incorrect and DOES create an "S" trap. The only valid reason for doing it would have been if the cabinet had a shelf RIGHT where the drain was. ALL other concerns could have been corrected with a saber saw or pipe extension. You may not have NOTICED any problem previously, but that does not mean there weren't any, or that the new sink will not cause something to happen. TAKE IT OUT and do it correctly.

nole01

Reaction score
@hj - Is this a serious job to complete? I showed to another plumber and he was afraid he would accidentally go through the wall straight to the outside. I obviously want to do what's needed/correct before we drywall, so need some direction to give plumber. Thanks in advance

Also, yes, the cabinet we just tore out had a shelf there and our new one has drawers there...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would find a plumber that is "not afraid" to move the sink connections to a point where they match the vanity and sink that you selected for installation there.

nole01

Reaction score
Not that I'd want to, but for curiosity...what would happen if we left it as it is now? We're first-time homebuyers trying to learn what we can.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You may or, may not experience problems.
The water seal of the trap would not be adequately protected by a vent and the trap seal may be lost allowing sewer gases into your home.

The downside is that bad plumbing tends to be a prolific breeder and once you let something slide the house can rapidly become infested with it.
Pretty soon the house smells like a sewer and floors and walls are rotting out.

Then when you go to move the buyers get lucky and have a good home inspector that catches all the problems...
You then get stuck fixing everything before the sale and the new buyer enjoys a home with good plumbing paid for by you...
You never get to enjoy it!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The ONLY good time to correct the problem is NOW. Any careful contractor would NOT go through the wall, and if you do it, you do NOT have to worry about something going wrong with the drain and either having to redo it or live with the problem "forever".

nole01

Reaction score
The ONLY good time to correct the problem is NOW. Any careful contractor would NOT go through the wall, and if you do it, you do NOT have to worry about something going wrong with the drain and either having to redo it or live with the problem "forever".

Thanks HJ - I agree, spend the few hundred to do it right and not worry about the potential effects/havoc it can cause. For me, it's not so much about what happens to the next guy, but how I have to live with it until then.

I really appreciate all the feedback from this forum!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks