Paint / Moisture in Bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
I just can't my finger on it quite yet....

Bathroom Ceiling. It's just the perimeter of the ceiling about 1/4 + 1/16" or so the paint is loosening from the ceiling. In a couple of places, it has come off, in the remainder it just looks suspect. Taking a taping knife to it, but the paint does not come loose...but I know it's somewhat loose. And it's only the edges....

I plan to just take a sander, sand it with 120 grit ....mud blend if it's bad and then prime/paint.

Has anyone come across such a issue. I don't think it's a moisture issue in the bathroom....but I can't think of anything else that would be causing this...

Chefwong

Reaction score
Scraping it with a taping knife is not knocking it loose/loose.
It's not blistering but I can ~see~ that it's not 100% secure....

So before I plan to repaint, it's only as good as the base it's on.
I don't mind destroying the edges to get to the point where I can mud and make it clean...

Just can't put my finger on WHAT is causing the issue.
If it was moisture, I would assume that other areas of the ceiling would blister...
The only issue is as described. Just 1/4- 1/16"+ around the entire edge .

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did you use premixed mud (it can resoften if it gets damp)? Do you have and use an exhaust fan? What kind of primer and paint did you use? In a bathroom, you want a good sealer/primer and at least a semigloss paint (that's a bit more moisture resistant) than a flat paint.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I think any paint which does not scrape off is adhered well enough to hold another coat. Hand sand to feather the edges if you must. Taking an electric sander to a ceiling is a messy job.
Moisture is the enemy.

Chefwong

Reaction score
If I had to guess, the base primer was probably 8 year old BM Regal (note the current B Regal lineup is not the *old skool* Regal lineup). The exterior paint was Muralo Ceramic or Pratt & Lambert. Overall, the paint has held up and I've noticed the starting to possibly chalk corners about 2 years ago.

Bathroom is finished tile floor to ceiling. The only paint is the ceiling...

I may just try hand sanding, using a Zinnsers *paint/primer* that is meant for possibly ~loose paint~, paint 2X coats of that and then paint away....

I've got to play with a test patch and see how well it goes.
I hate working facing up ;-)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks