system 2000

Users who are viewing this thread

Barry J

Reaction score
My oil company is offering a new system, the "System 2000"

If your income falls within there guideline and your system is over 20 years old it qualifies for a "oil heat efficiency program rebate".

Bacically they will put in a new system for about $7,000, and I would qualify for about $3,000 in rebates and another $300 thru my town/state (Massachusetts) for doing this.

Right now I have a Weil-Mcclain system that's is working find...but in the future I don't know.

You can also qualify for a zero interest loan for 7 years.

Have anybody heard of this "System 2000" or this program???

Is this a no-brainer???

Thanks

Barry

dapoppa

Reaction score
I haven't heard of that program since I don't live in Mass. However, I have heard of the System 2000. I had one installed in my home in 1997 and love it. The company was started in 1979 and has been in the forefront of energy conservation since then. Visit their website www.energykinetics.com for a lot of info. The system was tested at Brookhaven National Labs recently and compared against other high efficiency boilers currently on the market. It beat all of them including a condensing gas boiler.

I really don't know how much fuel I saved because there was no functional boiler in the house when we bought it, but average savings run anywhere from 30-50%. I have a friend who had the system installed and the oil company accused him of buying oil from someone else because the delivery size had dropped so much.

One thing to keep in mind when shopping for a boiler, AFUE doesn't mean jack.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
My oil company is offering a new system, the "System 2000"

If your income falls within there guideline and your system is over 20 years old it qualifies for a "oil heat efficiency program rebate".

Bacically they will put in a new system for about $7,000, and I would qualify for about $3,000 in rebates and another $300 thru my town/state (Massachusetts) for doing this.

Right now I have a Weil-Mcclain system that's is working find...but in the future I don't know.

You can also qualify for a zero interest loan for 7 years.

Have anybody heard of this "System 2000" or this program???

Is this a no-brainer???

Thanks

Barry

The system 2K has been around awhile, and it's an intelligently designed system that runs far more efficiently than typical oil-boilers under part-load conditions. That doesn't mean you can oversize it though. Most oil-fired boilers in MA are 3x+ oversized for the peak-loads (in my limited experience, in 01609 anyway), and running well below their AFUE ratings. A 3x oversized System 2000 won't be as crummy as a 3x oversized Weil McLain (unless it has a buffer tank and some smart controls), but a RIGHT SIZED System 2000 will probably cut the fuel bill by a third.

To figure out if/how-far oversized your current boiler is, try this downloadable tool that uses a boiler-performance regression curve and local weather data & fuel use to work backwards to a whole-house heat load: http://nora-oilheat.org/site20/fsa/FSACalculator_1_1_0_8.zip

It's not perfect, crashes sometimes, but it's results can be remarkably close to reality. You may have to fudge the location to a city with a climate most-similar to yours (what's your zip?).

To see how a System 2K stacks up against other boilers in an oversized situation as-measured by the folks at Brookhaven Nat'l Labs, see:

http://www.nora-oilheat.org/site20/uploads/FullReportBrookhavenEfficiencyTest.pdf

(System #3 in the test was a System 2000).

This might indeed be an investment no-brainer, if the installers did the math and right-size it for the application. How many years would it take to pay down a $4K investment with a 30-35% reduction in fuel use at current prices? If less than 5 in simple terms, it's a complete no-brainer. If it's more than a decade, and your Weil McLain has a decade or three left in it, maybe not- depends on what the price of oil does over the next decade. It could still be a good investment, but it may take a sharper pencil to determine where it goes present-value positive.

If you have a natural gas main on your street, a better investment might be to switch fuels. The medium & long term prospects for oil don't look very rosy price-wise (more diesel cars fighting for that same fractional barrel, and developing world demand driving up the price of crude), where as the as-yet minimally exploited Allegheny shale gas is poised to keep natural gas prices low in the NE for some time to come. (At current prices residiential retail NG in 01609 are the BTU equivalent of ~ $1.35/gallon oil.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks