Starting a cast iron drain line replacement (pics included) looking for help please!

Users who are viewing this thread

jblitz99

Reaction score
im wanting to replace this section of cast iron as it has rusted through and is leaking here are some pictures and discriptions.

Attachments

• DSCN0889.jpg
    DSCN0889.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 599

jblitz99

Reaction score
here is a view of the whole section, and where it enters the ground.

Attachments

• DSCN0903.jpg
    DSCN0903.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 543
  • DSCN0901.jpg
    DSCN0901.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 527

jblitz99

Reaction score
the pipe coming out of the 90 on the right is the bathroom sink, then to the left of that is a vent, then the toilet. and on that last 90 that the toilet is hooked to copper lines from the tub and coming from the kitchen area.

jblitz99

Reaction score
as far as what im wanting to do is replace the toilet flange and run pvc down replace all that cast iron with pvc and rejoin the existing copper, vent and drain from the sink, and rehook to pipe running into ground. bring on the advice.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What is that "gray thing" to the left of the tee going down to the ground? How about a better picture of it, since it looks like something that should either not be there or is in backwards. Someone REALLY liked high and low heel 1/4 bends, unfortunately most codes hate them. There is little about the existing system which is "legal", therefore you do NOT want to duplicate it with your new system.

Last edited:

VernK

Reaction score
Looking at the picture blown up, I think what looks like a branch coming out of the "gray thing" is actually ducting behind it.

Yours
Vern

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yep, I enhanced it, it's ductwork (that should be re-done also from the look of it) Man, what a mess you have there. If you really want to do it right (and you should) it pretty much all needs to go. I'll bet the only vent in the house is the 4" stack. big job, lots of problems. some could be structural. If you want it done right and not have to worry about it you should probably call a plumber in and get his thoughts.

jblitz99

Reaction score
im not sure what gray thing you are refering to, other than the ductwork in the background which is also in bad shape. as far as the vent, its the pipe steming from the center of this setup, the 4 inch section going up is the toilet. would it be better to do away with the 90 bends. i do own my own aeration system so im not connecting anything to city sewer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks