(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Power inlet fro xfr switch

Hybrid View

DIY Junior Member

Default Power inlet fro xfr switch

Hi,

I didnt get around to putting in the xfr switch last year, so letís see if I can get it done.

A couple of quick questions, maybe more later. (I got the pic online and is just for reference.)

My switch will be 30 away and I will be using 4 #10 thhn in sch 40.

1. What height should the power inlet be installed at..?
    2 My outside wall between the garage doors looks like the pic. The conduit will come down the wall and I will put some type of pull elbow where it makes the 90 to go through the wall....Can I just go in the back knock-out or do I have to go in the bottom knock out? If the back one, do I just cut a piece of sch 40 to go through the outside wall and put on some type of male fitting with some type of water proof washer?? ..and what would be the proper way to go from the pull elbow to the bottom knockout if that is by code? (Iíd rather go in the back, so it wonít be seen (no jokes)).

Thanks in advance,
    Homer
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You can mount the inlet at whatever height you like.

Pull L's cannot be used inside the wall. You need access to the cover plate.

DIY Junior Member

I thought there might be some type of height requirement because of snow, etc.... I d like to mount it at least 24".

That pull elbow I mentioned will not be in the wall, it will be on the garage side of the wall.

Thanks,
    Homer

Steel nipple through the back of the power inlet, through the siding and sheathing into the 4-inch J&P box and then flexible conduit to the transfer switch. I cut back the siding so the inlet box is slightly recessed and caulked the top and both sides.

Don't forget to add equipment grounding pigtails to all metallic parts that may not be bonded by the conduits.

Keep the bottom of the inlet box about a foot (or more) above the normal snow line for the location. Since snow is rare in my area I put mine about 30 inches above grade.

DIY Junior Member

Thanks Furd,

I like the idea of cutting the siding, but I'd rather not mess with the vinyl. I think I might use one of the mounting blocks that are used on vinyl. I already bought all the sch 40 pipe, so I'm looking for the proper connector for sch 40.

Thanks,
    Home
    Last edited by homer777; 10-19-2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: spelling

My previous house had vinyl siding but it was before the availability of the mounting blocks so I can't offer any advice there. You could cut back the siding and use J channel to make a vinyl "box" around the inlet box.

The proper way to use the PVC conduit includes using threaded adapters on the ends. If you have sufficient room in the wall I would suggest the threaded adapter into the back of the power inlet box, conduit through the wall and either into the back of a J&P box, a "pulling elbow" or a PVC LB fitting.

You could smear some silicone caulk around the fitting after tightening it to the power inlet box. Sealing from the inside is futile. Be sure to caulk around the top and sides of the box after mounting but leave the bottom of the box unsealed to allow any moisture that may get behind the box a place to drain.