Should be criminal...no words are even necessary

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
UPMC is going purple.

The health care giant will announce next week an ambitious advertising and branding campaign that will reveal a distinctive purple, gray and white logo and could cost about $16 million.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Well you know they had to raise their rates because of the new Obamacare Law....
Or was that really the reason?

Yea I'm thinking its criminal....

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I'm glad my rates will be going up so that those less fortunate than me will have the treatment they are entitled to if they fall ill.

After all, I would not want their condition to go untreated and have me catch it.

Plus, if they get treated then they can get back to paying taxes. Which people don't tend to do so well when they are sick.

Which saves me money.

Wow.

Perhaps if we paid a little bit more in taxes to send children to decent schools and universities they might be able to earn a little more and pay more taxes too! And then I'd save even more money.

Genius, eh?

In English, we call that helping others to help ourselves. I don't think there is an American translation for that.

Cookie

Reaction score
More is not always better, infact, less usually is.

I will speak for me, but if I pay more taxes, I will have to move to England so the Queen can support me. I am already dining on Pureed stink bugs.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
You should pay less taxes Cookie and receive income supplements from the increased tax payments of people like Redwood.

Enjoy those bugs. Yummy!

Cookie

Reaction score
Well, it might not be for long, I might be dining on at least chipped ham sandwiches, because at my property in the mountains, the Marcellus shale people are less than one mile from it. I need to find out information how to deal with drillers from Texas. I am sure I am going to be approached. I checked the maps, too, and their are 2 other seams under my property maybe, not seeing it while I am young enough to enjoy but, my kids and their kids would.

So, anyone who knows some stuff about well drillers, etc, and what is going on I would appreciate advice, so I don't have to move to England to get off the steady diet of Pureed Stink bugs. :)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Well, it might not be for long, I might be dining on at least chipped ham sandwiches, because at my property in the mountains, the Marcellus shale people are less than one mile from it. I need to find out information how to deal with drillers from Texas. I am sure I am going to be approached. I checked the maps, too, and their are 2 other seams under my property maybe, not seeing it while I am young enough to enjoy but, my kids and their kids would.

So, anyone who knows some stuff about well drillers, etc, and what is going on I would appreciate advice, so I don't have to move to England to get off the steady diet of Pureed Stink bugs. :)

If they haven't already contacted you chances are they figure that they can get to the stuff under your property by directional drilling from somewhere else where they already made a deal...

All you'll get out of it is a well that bubbles up natural gas...

Cookie

Reaction score
Possible but not in this case, plus, as fate would have it, I know someone in the right position, he as been overseeing this. I got a lawyer who will read the lease, etc, but, it would be nice to be able to know how to know if a driller is on the up & up. Those particulars I don't know.

Hold on, dinner flew by... ;)

It still might take a while for them to get to my area, the permit was just pulled. Usually when the permit is pulled, the well, is coming...

This area is going to supply the US for 2 years. It is into the trillions.

*it would be nice to just make something. I have been told it probably won't be much, but something is better than nothing. Which is why I said, " chipped ham" and not steak, lol. I am small potatoes to most of the places. A bubbling well with gas, Red? I guess it could happen. Hey, that could be a stink bug burner.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In the U.S. we have a different tradition, it is called "get onto welfare, teach your children how to live off welfare, they teach their children to live on welfare". But they also learn that they have to elect the politicians who make the welfare laws so they are not changed, otherwise people would actually have to go to work and get off welfare".

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I defy anyone to show me somebody who enjoys the "fruits" of living on welfare. At least in America, where you hardly receive enough to live off of.

Now if welfare recipients had had a decent, Government-funded education then they may have had more choices in life, and be more employable.

It's one reason why rich kids in America don't end up on welfare. Nothing special about the parenting except they can afford to send their kids to decent schools and universities. Oh, they'll tell you they brought them up to work hard and expect nothing from no-one but that's all BS when you have class sizes of no more than fifteen. Not so for poor families. So it's time to share the wealth and not the work ethic. The latter doesn't get you very far when your mommy can't afford to send you to college and you haven't seen daddy since the age of four. Not with China out there, anyway.

Tax and spend is the only way to go. And I a proud the current Administration is taking America in this direction. It's a great country to live in just now. I can't vote but those that can are doing a great job.

Let's not break it by drinking too much Tea.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Yikes. Yikes. Yikes. I wouldn't know where to begin Ian in correcting your viewpoints on this last post. It is that many. Just one point I have to make is about China. Their suicide rate of kids is staggering. They are pushed beyond their limits, with school being too many days a year, ( like every day) too many hours a day, ( the entire day) and no one to speak up to this. Their parents are directing success to accomplishments rather than the well being of their own children. The stress is so overwhelming and taxing to young minds. It is unfortunate that the US even, remotely would compare themselves to this learning grade. Healthy minds is a large part of a healthy body.

So far as the differences between the poor and the rich it would take volumes to discuss this. Basically, to succeed, is taught by the first teachers in life, the parents. The parents do not need to be educated or wealthy to teach the basics skills in life. My mom was illiterate, and I taught her to read and write when I was 14. We were poor, yet we never depended on the state. Yet, she was the smartest person I had met in my life or ever will. I was 15 when I first published and got paid for my first piece, Milk, Eggs and Cheese. It was about teaching my mom to read & write using her grocery list. I lied about my age to do so.

Money is money, it is nice to have but it does not make one's life easier, or pave the path to instant happiness or riches. Yet, love does.

Love is not just between a man and a woman, or parents and children, or siblings, it is also, found between teachers and students, such as Ron Clark. Where did he teach? hmm... not Harvard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ron_Clark_Story

The Ron Clark Story follows the inspiring tale of an energetic, creative and idealistic young teacher who leaves his small North Carolina hometown to teach in a New York City public school. Through his passionate use of special rules for his classroom, highly innovative teaching techniques and an undying devotion to his students and helping them cope with their problems, Clark is able to make a remarkable difference in the lives of his students. For one young girl trying to attend school while helping to raise her siblings, he offers a chance for her to overcome her situation and become the top student of the class. For a young man with a penchant for graffiti, he offers an ideal outlet for artistic expression. Even when he is almost overcome by pneumonia, Clark continues to work with his students, hoping that he can raise their test scores to an acceptable level, or possibly even higher. However, when Mr Clark returns, he finds out his class did not deliver the goods but he remains optimistic about their chances. The kids sit in the state exams and a few days later, Mr Clark takes the kids to see the Phantom of Opera. In the end, Principal Turner reveals that Mr Clark's class got the highest average (they got a higher score than the honor class) in the state and Mr Clark was regarded by his students as their best teacher in the world.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
But when I look around America, I don't see rich young people with poor parents that went to public schools with energetic teachers.

I see rich young people with rich parents that went to Harvard. And the last time I looked, Harvard wasn't cheap.

Yeah, every now and again there is an actor or two who was broke but got lucky.

But you don't come across them very often.

And more money does make you happier. Up to $75,000 a year anyway, as revealed by a recent study.

Does someone get $75,000 a year on welfare? I don't think they do.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ian's Glasses....
He's already wearing them...

2968156492_bed7b7c3ff.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
As are you Red. Keep dreaming the dream. That's all it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cookie

Reaction score
Found this on the Huffington Post:

Where America Poverty is Rising

Thanks to the recession, 2009 was one of the worst years for poverty in America in more than half a century. The total number of Americans living in poverty hit 43.6 million, the highest level in 51 years and the national poverty rate rose to 14.3 percent from 13.2 percent, according to data released last month by the Census Bureau.

All told, one in seven Americans are living in poverty. To visualize America's startling rise in poverty, Mint, the personal finance site, put together this interactive chart of regional poverty rates.

Among the hardest-hit states are Louisiana, Mississippi and certain areas of Texas. States with the lowest poverty statistics include Wyoming, Hawaii, Minnesota and several East Coast states. (See: List of the poorest states in America.)

Though suburban areas are now home to one-third of America's poor, large cities have not been immune to the effects of the recession. Residents of cities like New York, Los Angeles and Miami have seen some of the biggest drops in personal income in the last year.

Crippling poverty rates in many of America's hardest-hit regions have been accompanied by several other disturbing trends for the middle class. Income inequality hit an all-time high before the recession, according University of California, Berkeley, economist Emmanuel Saez. States, faced with an estimated budget shortfall of $380 billion for 2011, have started to cut crucial services and have laid off thousands of workers.

Growing layoffs last year caused millions of Americans to lose employee-provided health insurance, leaving 16.7 percent of Americans with no health insurance, the highest level since the Census started collecting the data in 1987.

As income levels have been ravaged in areas particularly tied to the housing boom, some have speculated that industries like construction may never return to their pre-crisis levels.

Now, if you understand people's reasonings, I have friends who told me after I lost my husband I should take a cruise, a trip, not live in a cave. (they think I do) Now, when he died, he didn't take his bills with him, he left them for me. Poverty is caused by many factors which on the surface people sometimes, don't see. In my case, it was his death and my health problems. I am supporting the same financial picture minus his paycheck.

Where does that leave me? I am one of the seven. Even though I didn't make my bed, this is where I rest my head.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks