Shallow well pump can't build pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

crikker

Reaction score
Pulled and installed a new point.
New check valve.
New pump impeller.
Pump runs up to 35psi instantly then hangs right there. It seems like the bladder tank isn't filling. The pressure in the tank is 28 psi. I blew out the pressure switch line and both fittings. I'm guessing either the bladder tank inlet is plugged or the switch is jacked. If the tank is plugged, wouldn't the system just pressurize and shut off? How can I adjust the pressure switch from an unknown condition?

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
Probably a stopped up nozzle in the head of the pump. Not uncommon. It's what makes pressure in a jet pump. Some models have a plug underneath the suction you can take out and unclog it that way, others do not and you must unbolt the head to get to it.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
only one hole that could plug. you twisted the plastic nozzle/venturi out of the pump head? be glad you didnt break it. you coulda just looked in and seen if it was plugged or not. a suction leak could cause this.

need more info. is this a well? storage tank? cistern? is pump close to water source? how old and what model pump? why was impeller replaced? when you changed the pressure switch did you make sure the line running to it was good and open?

Last edited:

crikker

Reaction score
This is a point well 25 ft down from my basement floor. 28 feet counting the point.
There is a bladder tank in the system.
The pump is a Flotec FP4012 model and it's been here at least five years. Thats how long we've lived here.
I changed the impeller due to the pressure only running up to 35 psi and sticking there no matter what I did with the pressure switch. I haven't changed the switch yet. Not sure if there is a test to verify it's working correctly or not.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
many people consider those "throw away pumps" (i will not take them apart and work on them).. there is a jet inside that pump that you can check, but those plastic head pumps are cheap cheap cheap.. they can appear fine but still act very screwy, my guess is warped housing from heat?.. i dont know, but they are junk. im surprised you got 5 years..

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Jet Pumps are just that. Some are more servicable than others. The problem isn't likely to be the impeller or the defuser of the pump, It's in the jet assembly. The 1/4" nozzle behind the Venturi is plugged. The tank has nothing to do with your problem. Unplug the 1/4" nozzle and you should have pressure if you had pressure before.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks