kitchen sink strainer

Users who are viewing this thread

rdkahn

Reaction score
I have a very large kitchen sink, manufactured by the Crane Company in 1927. The brass strainer, 7 inches in diameter, has now worn out. What can I do? Help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If, by worn out, you mean all of the chrome has worn off, you can take it to a metal refinisher and have them rechrome it. Should look like new. But, if it is all rounded over, and pitted, there may not be enough left to restore. The surface would need to be smoothed over, as plating just follows the existing surface...got bumps, replated and shiney bumps!

One of the pros may know of a restoration or current product that might fit.

rdkahn

Reaction score
Thanks, Jim, for your reply. Unfortunately the bottom of the strainer, originally comprised of 200 round holes, has disintegrated to such an extent that refinishing is not a solution.
--rdkahn

rdkahn

Reaction score
Sorry, Thatguy. I'm new to this site and don't know how to post photos -- and, as I approach my 80th birthday, my computer skills are not great.
---rdkahn

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No real need for photos... At this point you don't need to build on your computer skills unless you want to...

With your sink it comes down to finding a basket strainer assembly that doesn't fall through the hole and can be tightened against the sink on the bottom to clamp it in place. If one can not be found then it is time for a new sink...

The top flange on a basket strainer is pretty well universal so that is the first thing to check for fit.

The bottom clamping is different and you then need to find one that will fit the hole size if possible.
Click the 3 links below to see them.
This type is probably the narrowest clamping width.
This type may clamp a wider hole.
As will this one.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Depending on your budget for this project, how 'bout a machine shop to bridge the gap between what's commercially available and what's needed?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks