Mansfield Summit 3

Users who are viewing this thread

mwn007

Reaction score
In general Mansfield Products don't get much love on this list. For the Professional I completely understand the TOTO preference. For the DIY Plumber a step up from the builder grade Mansfield Alto is worth a look. The Summit 3 is an offshoot of the Maverick and owes its utility to the flattery it gives the Drake employing the 3" flapper and the 2-1/8" glazed trapway.

Have a look, good performance 600Map...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFRBj7Y2v1E

BTW the Maverick is imported and the Summit 3 is made in Mansfield Ohio USA!

http://www.mansfieldplumbing.com/v3/pc-template11.jsp?cat=316&limit=0

Last edited:

mwn007

Reaction score
Summit 3 Three weeks of service, Dual FLush Potential?

The Summit 3 has given great service in the first 3 weeks. Met every challenge on one flush, remarkably quick quiet and efficient and washed the bowl completely. I don't miss the 7 gallon flush this unit replaces. I don't expect to need a plunger.

Has anyone tried converting a 3" flapper toilet into a "dual" Flush? Works great as is. Can the liquid only flush be throttled back to 1 gallon or less while maintaining only 1.6 gallons for everything else?

I have not been able to manually push the flapper down with enough speed to short fill and clear the bowl I usually wind up draining about the same amount as an ordinary flush. I am skeptical of the dual flush conversion kits, thinking they may yield a 1 gallon flush paired with a greater than 1.6 gallon flush.

The Blue 3" Mansfield flapper appears durable, time will tell.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A 1.6 gallon works by pressing the handle down and releasing.
If the handle is "held" down, then you would be using about 3 gallons.

mwn007

Reaction score
A 1.6 gallon works by pressing the handle down and releasing.
If the handle is "held" down, then you would be using about 3 gallons.

Terry,
I know any flapper style can have it's rated flush and the everything it has by holding the handle down. This option is rarely needed in today's "low volume flush" . I have a 1994 Kohler Wentworth slated for replacement operating with the float set to use one gallon and when challenged hold the handle down for 5 seconds and about 3.5 gallons. This toilet offhandedly gave the low flush offerings a black eye.

My interest is in the valves that allow less than a gallon for liquids and only 1.6 for everything else.
While they are expensive retrofits the sealing faces can be replaced for about $5. But if the large flush cannot be tuned to 1.6 gallons they defeat themselves. Most people seem happy with them but nobody has documented that they save water on thier install.

http://www.ecogreen-depot.com/productdetails.aspx?part=BW-O2F-3DFK&ref=base

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've said this before...a toilet needs to be built for low-flow, otherwise, they don't work well. For the dual flush toilets to work, the bowl needs to have a smaller water volume, otherwise, when you do the low flush, you won't empty it, but only dilute it. No valve conversion can do that, since the larger bowl just won't flush properly.

mwn007

Reaction score
I've said this before...a toilet needs to be built for low-flow, otherwise, they don't work well. For the dual flush toilets to work, the bowl needs to have a smaller water volume, otherwise, when you do the low flush, you won't empty it, but only dilute it. No valve conversion can do that, since the larger bowl just won't flush properly.

Perfect sense Jim!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks