(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Help Please! How can I install a washing machine drain line?

Hybrid View

Default Help Please! How can I install a washing machine drain line?

Guys,

First a confession, I am handy at some things but I don't have much plumbing experience besides the occasional toilet and sink type stuff.

My problem
    We just bought a house and the washer and dryer were relocated by the previous owners from the basement to a pantry in the kitchen. We would like to replace them back into the basement.

The basement has water lines for the hoses but does not have a place for the drain hose. There is some piping next to the washing machine where it would seem the likely place to tap into for a drain line. There is also a stub ~8ft off the ground (in picture 3) that looks like i could tap into to install piping for the drain pipe but I am unsure that the water will get up the hose.

Any instruction on what I need to do to install the plumbing for a drain pipe is greatly appreciated. Apologies for the crappy photos but I haven't been able to find my camera so had to take them with a phone.

Thanks so much for all of your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

First, you need to determine if both of those lines are waste lines, or if one is a vent.

If both are waste lines, you will need to cut in a tee off the 3", and then vent between the stack and the p-trap. The p-trap will have a standpipe above it.
    If you can't find a vent to connect to, you will have to use an AAV as the vent.

The top of the standpipe can be about 40" off the floor.