Baseboard heat won't turn off

Users who are viewing this thread

jpaul

Reaction score
Hi, I turned heat on in am for the first time this year, came on and turned off when I went to work, when I came home it was 90 degrees and it continues to heat. Will try replacing thermostat but was wondering if it could be something else as well. Many thanks in advance.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It could be a number of things causing the problem and the thermostat is only one of them probably the least likely...
I would suggest calling for service.

jpaul

Reaction score
Could I eliminate the possibility of it being the thermostat by disconnecting it? Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are all of the radiators hot, or only this one? Do you have zones? Does the thermostat indicate it is 'on' and calling for heat? Is the circulator running? If it is a zone valve, is the zone valve stuck or is it being told to open? There are numerous ways a system could be set up, and controlled, or piped. So, no single answer will direct you to the solution. You need to know something about YOUR system, or it is all just a shot in the dark.

jpaul

Reaction score
This is a 70's condo unit. One boiler for the building. There is a device that the thermostat controls, this device has a lever on it that can be move between 12:00 to 6:00 counter clockwise. I think this lever might have been moved when the baseboard covers were removed during the summer. This lever was in the 9:00 position...would anyone know what the correct position would be? There was also a shutoff valve before this device which I shut off for some relief. Thanks again.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds sort of like a zone valve. Many (all?) have a manual on (open) position. If the thing is manually on, the thermostat won't do anything. They usually have instructions on them to tell you how to open it (or close it).

jpaul

Reaction score
It was a zone valve, original one. Replacement for a honeywell with labor and tax, $450.25.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That particular valve has not been manufactured in quite a while so I would imagine they are replacing the entire thing. If you have more than one (and you probably do ) you might want to get a price on doing all of them because they are probably on the way out anyway. It should be less expensive since they will have the system all drained.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks