How to abandon toilet drain in basement?

Users who are viewing this thread

rogerlarry

Reaction score
I'm in the process of renovating my basement bathroom and I've moved my toilet to where the shower was and I'm wondering what I should do with the old toilet hole? I plan on converting the space to a shower. Any ideas? I plan on building a shower pan over the hole.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The shower needs a 2" drain line, drain, and p-trap (well, the p-trap could be larger as could the drain, but most people don't want a bigger drain in their shower unless it is going to be a car wash). You can utilize the larger pipe after the p-trap. A toilet drain line does not have a trap (it's in the toilet). The shower should be vented as well. If you are going to tile this, check out www.johnbridge.com for help with tiling and building the pan properly. The drain on a shower works best (in most cases) if it is centered, so you will likely want to move things to there while installing the required trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks