Can you use a 277V switch on a 120V circuit?

Users who are viewing this thread

PhileFriendly

Reaction score
Hi-
I happen to have an occupancy sensor/dimmer switch that is rated for 277V, and I'd like to use it for a light on a regular 120V circuit. Would this work? I'm skeptical because the switch (Wattstopper WD-180) only says it is rated at 277V, whereas they do have other models that are rated 120V-277V.

Thanks in advance!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Probably not since it is electronic. Maybe, you'd have to call them to be sure, or read the installation manual, if available on-line, to find out. Non-electronic stuff like simple switches, wires, connectors, etc. that are rated for (maybe much) higher voltages than planned, are fine to use on a lower voltage. Electronic stuff may or may not work at a lower voltage.

Jbfan74

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Since it is rated at 277, it requires that voltage to operate.
As you have found out, they make a 120/277 rated sensor, and that would work.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A simple on/off mechanical switch would be rated for its maximum voltage, but one with an electronic function will only work at the specified voltage.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most electronic stuff is marked with a voltage range, if it can work with various inputs. When it is listed with one voltage, generally, that's it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks