3 compartment sink draining problem with grease trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Pizzaworker

Reaction score
Hi,
I work at a pizza restaurant. Unfortunately the manager doesn't seem to care about this problem so I am going to see what I can do myself.

We have a 3 compartment sink in the back. When we drain the sinks we have to stand over them constantly plugging and unplugging them so that they drain more slowly. If we don't do that then the sink water comes out of the floor drain, flooding the floor with dirty water with food particles in it. If we completely let it go, water comes up through the grease trap too.

They've tried draino, but that didn't do anything. Any ideas?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I sell a lot of Bio-Clean to restaurants with grease traps.

http://terrylove.biz/home/75-bio-clean-a-natural-enzyme-drain-cleaner.html

Please don't put Draino in the drains. That's a good way to eat up all the metal and cast iron pipe.
Something natural like Bio-Clean eats up the grease all the way around the pipe and in the grease trap box.
The City of Bellevue makes resturants use products like these as their waste treatment. Too many problems with the city sewer lines before they did that.
I remember trying to snake out the local KFC Kentucky Fried Chicken. My Gawd there was a lot of chicken grease in the lines. All the snake did was stir the grease.

grease_trap_rough_josam.jpg

Last edited:

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
We use a jetter with high pressure water to clean restaurant drains, this breaks up the grease and returns the inside of the pipe to its regular size. Also the grease trap should be catching most of the grease, is it being cleaned out on a regular basis?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That's a couple of posts with great advice above...
The Bio-Clean Terry recommends does a great job of lowering the service interval on grease traps and keeping lines clean.
Plus no harm to the plumbing will come from it!

In your case it sounds like the manager has been neglectful in his duties of maintaining the restaurant and it's affecting the sanitary conditions required under health laws. This is something he needs to take care of right away in order to stay open.

At a minimum the grease trap needs to be cleaned and due to the neglect there is a very good chance the drain lines will require high pressure jetting to remove the build up of grease in the pipes to restore proper drainage. After this is done he should definitely dose the grease trap daily to keep things well maintained. It will not replace proper maintenance of the grease trap but it certainly will extend the service interval and keep the drain lines clean.

If the manager still doesn't take care of his facility then by all means next inspection by the health department let that sink rip and the inspector will surely impress upon him the need for proper maintenance and keeping the kitchen sanitary with proper functioning drains...

Pizzaworker

Reaction score
I've been told by another employee that the grease trap is emptied twice a week. I've never seen it done, but I work nights.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The purpose of a grease interceptor is to CATCH the grease, not hold it until it can be emulsified and flow into the sewer system. IF the interceptor overflows, then the outlet, or the outlet piping is getting plugged, OR worse case, the flow control was installed on the interceptor's outlet pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks