(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Winterize Domestic Water

Default Winterize Domestic Water

Closing my camp and want to pump RV anti freeze into the tankless coil and all the domestic lines in the hot water boiler. The house has a well trol, do I pump down the cold side from the well trol drain. By doing this will this drain the hot side from the well trol drain? Then remove the pressure relief valve and screw on a gate valve and pump anti freeze into the domestic side. Then after pumping a while open all the faucets. Can anybody comment or have recommendations.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Are you running antifreeze in the boiler circuits? If you do, you lose about 10% of the capacity, since it doesn't transmit heat as effectively.

I would guess you could just blow the lines out with an air compressor for the domestic water lines. You'd need to put antifreeze into the traps of the drains, but nothing else. If you were lucky, the lines were installed with the intent of draining, and you could just open a valve, but that doesn't happen too often.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014