Question: D3309 Grey Pipe, is it safe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Orcacalling

Reaction score
I am trying hard to find out if this kind of pipe is safe. It has been withdrawn, yet my apartment is using it for hot and cold water. I think it is breaking down. We do not have chlorine in our village well water.

Thanks

Robin

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I seem to recall that the issues with PB were two: one had to to with the fittings, but then long term there is a problem with pinholes, but that was related to chlorinated water, so you should not have a problem.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Jimbo you are right! The initial problem was with the actal fittings but later the tubing itself was breaking down from chlorine content of the water supply.

If you are on a well (non-chlorinated) and you haven't had problems, why fix it if its not broke?

Orcacalling

Reaction score
Thanks for replying. We took off the tap fittings in kitchen, and bathroom and flushed the water through. About an hour later I could not smell or taste metalic anymore. A floral smell was in water instead.hmmm. Test results come in soon. Thank you Robin

Jimbo you are right! The initial problem was with the actal fittings but later the tubing itself was breaking down from chlorine content of the water supply.

If you are on a well (non-chlorinated) and you haven't had problems, why fix it if its not broke?

Orcacalling

Reaction score
Thank you Jimbo

Thanks for commenting

I seem to recall that the issues with PB were two: one had to to with the fittings, but then long term there is a problem with pinholes, but that was related to chlorinated water, so you should not have a problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks